Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radial/Hole Callout vs. Feature Parameters

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good morning all,

Started using NX11 and was informed that Radial/Hole Callout is preferred method of dimensioning a hole instead of using Feature Parameters.

This works fine on new parts that use Pattern for holes, but Legacy Parts that use Instance Array are hosed as that is not supported. Can't pick holes at all.

Same thing for use of Legacy Parts that have a tapped hole as 2 features, simple hole and thread applied, instead of threaded hole. Callout fraction for thread comes in funky.

Feature Parameters for a single hole (.500 Dia) will not allow you to change decimal places.

Are we supposed to not use clone anymore and recreate all parts new, as it seems Legacy Part support is no longer available???

This will create many extra hours on our end.

Yes GTAC has been contacted, with a response of it is now an ER.

Why is it an ER (Feature Paramaters decimal place change) when it worked fine in NX8.5.3 but is now broken??

7 REPLIES

Re: Radial/Hole Callout vs. Feature Parameters

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Feature Parameters is still available, and GTAC has informed me, that even though it is "hidden" in NX11, it is not planned to be retired yet.  I took that as, "we know hole callout isn't perfect yet".  

I encourage users to use the hole feature, and patterns, so that the hole callout works best, but feature parameter is there, when needed.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Using pattern for new parts is fine.

We clone 90-95% of our parts.

Some original parts were started in NX1.0.

If Feature Parameters gets 'Retired' what happens then???

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"If Feature Parameters gets 'Retired' what happens then???"

Given the track record of NX and the rate at which commands are retired...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will probably be retired before the command is.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Cowski,

Good point.

Same track record as ER's.

I may be retired before they get fixed also.

Thanks for the reality check.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

That was my concern, since there are times when a command will be hidden, and after two versions it is retired.  That is why I point blank asked GTAC what the plans were, and this was the reply:

I've talked with the Developer on ER 7776177. There are currently plans to put this enhancement into a near future release. Additionally, there is currently no retirement release set for Feature Parameters. This tool will not be enhanced, but it will at least remain available for use until a retirement release is set. It seems to be almost certain that the fix for the issue will be implemented before Feature Parameters is retired, thus you should have a workaround until the issue is fixed.

Note, the Hole Callout option may not display your thread callout correctly, so Feature Parameter is the work around.  BUT, if you use Exact or Smart Lightweight views, you can't use Feature Parameters (per IR 7815725).

thus, we need both. 

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dave K,

Yes we need both for now.

Only solution until they get one or both working correctly.

Hopefully supporting legacy features (Instance Array, etc.)

Phenom
Phenom

In NX I find there are at least 3 kinds of methods to make Holes.

Two methods are discussed above and the third is the Boolean subtraction method which is extensively used in MW, PDW, EDW add-ins.

When creating detail drawings each method has its own way to add annotation. Boolean meted only supported by Hole Table method.

For NX Knowledge Base, I made a video presentations to show these differences and limitations. Sadly, they were removed simply because it was showing limitations of NX.

If possible, I will upload them here.    

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW