cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid Dimensioning doesn't work properly

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello folks,

the Rapid Dimensioning command in drawings is very difficult and time consuming to use.

I click Rapid Dimensioning, then I select two points of corners (my selected points are neither vertical not horizontal aligned to each other).  I have a dimension following my mouse pointer. Dependent on where I now go the dimension that will be created can be vertical, horizontal or direct.

I decide for vertical, see the vertical dimension preview and klick to get it.

But what I get is a horizontal dimension instead.

I can repeat that procedure and I always get a dimension that differs from the previewed one. It is just terrible!

Please help me!

Best regards

4 REPLIES

Re: Rapid Dimensioning doesn't work properly

Legend
Legend

I think I know what you mean;

Try the following:

Click item 1

Click item 2

Then drag the dimension to a place where it shows the direction in which you want it. Then click to place it. Don't worry about the fact that it might not be where you want it to be. Now grab the dimension again and drag it where you want. Now it will not change to horizontal or vertical or aligned anymore.

I remember in the early versions of NX9 dragging dimensions was not possible when the dimension dialog was still open. Luckily after some complaining it was changed.

I hope this helps.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Legend
Legend

Also check if the measurement method is not set to "Vertical" but to "Inferred"

NX rapid dimension methodNX rapid dimension methodNX rapid dimension methodNX rapid dimension method

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

If the Measure Method is not Inferred the there is not that above mentioned issue. It doesn't let me drag the dimension to any other types other than the preselected one.

to the first response:

I drag the dimension and all three types are still possible since the dimension has't been placed yet.

I still can choose vertical, horizontal or direct.

Now let's say, I want it a vertical dimension. I drag it so the preview is vertical. Then I click to place my dimesion. Funny thing the dimension is not vertical as just shown in the preview. It is another type, e.g. horizontal or direct.

By the way:

the Rapid Dimension Drop-Down only has 4 fixed types that can be preselected: 

Linear,

Radial

Angular 

Perimeter

What if I want Perpendicular or a Point to Point dimension? I have to click more often than in NX8.5.

The Dimension Drop-Down in NX8.5 was way more effective, this is also the opinion of my collegues (see picture).

Legend
Legend

Hi Blendy,

When I read your remarks I recognize them because I had a similar experience when starting with NX9 - NX10. I noticed an "unlearning curve NX8.5 dimensioning" when I started with NX9 dimensioning.

The Rapid Dimension is more "precise" compared to the old "inferred" dimension (pre-NX9). I mean that Rapid Dimension is more capable in guessing what kind of dimension you need. I advise you to be a bit more precise on what items you pick during dimensioning. It might be a good idea to sometimes wait for the quick pick to make sure you have the correct item. Once you get the hang of it you will notice you won't often pick the dimension type yourself. BTW The quick pick delay time can be changed here:

NX10 Selection Preferences CTRL+SHIFT+TNX10 Selection Preferences CTRL+SHIFT+T

"Now let's say, I want it a vertical dimension. I drag it so the preview is vertical. Then I click to place my dimension. Funny thing the dimension is not vertical as just shown in the preview. It is another type, e.g. horizontal or direct."

This happens when you place your dimension on top of other geometry, I notice this too sometimes; To prevent this, place your dimension even further away where there is no underlying geometry. After placement drag it to the desired position.

BTW I can see more types:

NX10 Rapid Dimension Measurement MethodsNX10 Rapid Dimension Measurement Methods

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit