cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid Surfacing

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey,

I've got an STL-file of the mandibula joint. 

The STL-file comes from a CT-scan.

I would like to insert a part en constrain it on to the mandibula joint.

So the surface of the parts needs to adapt itself to the surface of the STL file.

part.PNG

Mandibular joint.PNG

Is this possible ? How do I do that ?  

Can someone help me ? 

Thank you ! 

9 REPLIES

Re: Rapid Surfacing

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

You can use Convergent modeling (NX11) for creating the additional part in the assembly context itself referencing the stl data. You can find some good material on convergent modelling in the Knowledge base of this community.

Best Regards

Kapil

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Have a look at convergent modelling it will give you the tools your after: https://youtu.be/wjujIMXK2eY
Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hey Kapil

Yes, i've seen all the information about convergent modeling, but it's not
effective for my application.

I have already drawn a prosthesis (the part) and i want it to adapt itself
to the bone structure witch is patient specific.
If I use convergent modeling, i need to draw the prosthesis over and over
again. That's not efficient!

If you know a solution, let me know !

Tanks

Experimenter
Experimenter

*Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Frank,

Sorry i have no other direct option to achieve the same.But probably i will try a Fit Surface (freeform) on the same and then use that fitted surface for other operations on the part (may be a relace face or something like it. or even using x-form).

It will be hard for me to comment on the same without getting in the shape complexity Smiley Happy

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Kapil

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Kapil

Thanks for your help! 

I will continue trying it with the freeform and fitted surface. 

Do you have a site or documentation where I can learn more about FIt surface/ Reverse engineering ?

Thanks you for all the information! 

Regards,

Frank Vanduffel 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In NX 9, you can also try the "rough offset" command with a zero offset distance. It allows you to select a facet body for input and tries to create a B-surface approximation. It might give you something usable. I'd suggest splitting out a small, usable section of interest in your mesh body and using that for the input to the offset command. Using the entire mesh may lead to long processing times and overly "heavy" results from the B-surface.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Frank,

I am not sure I follow your thought process that you would have to redraw the part over and over again.

So, you have a base model which is the template/structure that you have already modeled.

You then import your unique STL file then surely using tools like trim on the body, or subtracting the STL from your template part would leave the surfaces you want to get.

There is an example of a hip joint cutting block that uses exactly that approach.

In fact as the convergent operation and the trim or subtract can be edited you can swap bodies out if the STL file is changed.  So I do think there are workflows that you could find Convergent will help you.

Regards

Paul Brown

Genius
Genius

Have you tried the Align functions (Menue -> Edit -> Align)? This commands work with nx objects and facet bodies.

Regards André