Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing step file size

Experimenter
Experimenter
I am running NX version 7.5 and am creating model exports In STEP214 format. One particular model is exporting at around 79mb in file size, and this is too large for the client to import

Is there anything I can do to get this file size down? The majority of our exports are at the 1MB size. Granted this is a more complex model with more surface features, I was just wondering if there was any tricks I can use while exporting to reduce it.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES

Re: Reducing step file size

Genius
Genius

without seeing the actual part file (that you should attach if you want a meaningful

answer), one can just guess that either the tolerances you used for surface modeling or the STEP exporting tolerances are too tight.

Is the part file also that bigger (79 times) compared to your usual parts or is it just the STEP file ?

Re: Reducing step file size

Creator
Creator

Can you copy your model to a different layer and do a split body on it?  Cut it into 3 or 4 sections.  Export each section separately.  Your customer can import each one separately and unite them in their software.  Try to split the model in areas where geometry is not complex.  This will aid in uniting the bodies in your clients software. 

NX 9.0.3.4 MP6