Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference-Only components

Genius
Genius

Hi guys,

does anyone know why this option is grayed out and not changeable by default?

ref_comp.png

I can't find any mention of it in customer defaults...

It would make our life so much easier if it could simply be turned on/off at will!

Is there maybe an environment variable to set to enable it? I mean, if the option exists, there must be a way to enable it.

9 REPLIES

Re: Reference-Only components

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Are you running NX in native mode?  I've only seen that available, in a Teamcenter managed NX session.  In native you have to set the attribute(s) manually, ie PLIST_IGNORE_MEMBER and PLIST_IGNORE_SUBASSEMBLY

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Genius
Genius
It's with Teamcenter, I treid on different NX versions as well (9, 10 and 11), couldn't get it to work. These attributes don't work in a TC env.?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I think the varibles still work in managed mode.

Quick look at the customer defaults, and I didn't see a setting to disable that option.  May be a GTAC question.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Make your component the displayed part and check to see if it has the attribute REFERENCE_COMPONENT set to any value.  By default this attribute is set to <no value>.  If it's not set at the part level, check the parent assemblies to see if any value has been set (as an instance or component attribute) that overrides the part attribute in the piece part.

Is your component a direct child to a specification dataset (i.e., a component of a drawing file)?

Note below that drawing 000149 has 2 components - 000150 was originally defined as a Reference Component, in master model assembly 000149 , and then dragged in the ANT to make it a child under the drawing.

Screenshot - 3_29_2018 , 2_47_10 PM.png

In this situation, the Component options, including "Component is Reference-Only", will be greyed out.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

All of the above mentioned attributes are set to the default <no value>. I have tried changing them but nothing happens.

Basically, I want a component on my drawing file to not be displayed as reference only so that I may use the replace component command on it.

I find this very frustrating when cloning an assembly with its drawing, that I can't simply replace the original components on my drawing with the newly cloned ones I have made some changes to. I have to delete the views and place new ones and then dimension everything again.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @hajnal_25,

You did not answer the 2nd part of my question - Is your component a direct child to a specification dataset?

Meaning, if you look at your structure in Teamcenter, do you have multiple children (components) under your drawing?

Thinking about this again (and after you explained the problem with cloning), I wonder if you've added views from components to your drawing (aka 'view of part').  This also creates the greyed out condition you've described.  These can be identified by the icon in the ANT showing a drawing sheet behind the yellow block as shown below:

Screenshot - 4_3_2018 , 7_54_52 AM.png

Can you upload a screenshot of your Assembly navigator as shown above?

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi @BenBroad, thanks for your reply.

Here is an example:

structure.png

To summarize, I have an assembly which is the main component of my dwg dataset, and in this dwg I have placed views of components that belong to my assembly (as shown above). Now when I clone this assembly (ugmaster and ugpart) and replace a component within the newly cloned assembly, the old component is still referenced on the drawing and I would like to be able to perform a replace component command on this referenced component to replace it with my new component from the assembly without having to delete the view and placing a new one.

I found this discussion also here with a workaround provided by @PhoeNX_Support, but as I understand, if it was possible to uncheck the box "component is reference only", one could easily replace the component and check the box again to convert it back to a referenced component without using any workarounds.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Attila Szepesi, Application Engineer, graphIT Ltd.
Production: NX12.0.2 | TcUA 11.3
Development: VB.NET, C# Testing: NX--

Genius
Genius

Köszönöm szépen Attila!

I set it as a variabale in my start script and works perfectly Smiley LOL