Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Pattern "Delayed" - What is that?

Legend
Legend

Hello, I've been using NX for three years now and have seen something new today with reference patterns.  In the Assembly Navigator, I expanded out the Component Patterns and noticed that they all now have an "!" in the Info column.  I hovered over one of the exclamation marks and it said indicated "Delayed".  The Position column also lists a "?" for every pattern.

Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening?  Something new in using NX for 3 years....  Is this a NX 12.0.1.7 thing or is this just new for NX12? 

I also see that many of the assembly constraints now have a "!" with them.  That may be clunky/buggy behavior with 12.0.1.7, but it was also deficient and flaky in NX 10.  I think someone else's desciption was "atrocious".  Not my description, but I wouldn't disagree.  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Reference Pattern "Delayed" - What is that?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@s_hightower,

So I did a quick experiment - a simple plate with 5 X Ø15.1 through holes in a circular pattern, a Ø15 pin, assembled them, constrained the pin to be centered in the hole, top of pin 5mm above top face of plate. I created a Reference Pattern of the pin using the hole pattern as reference. Saved everything, reopened and nothing odd shows up in the Asm Navigator. I go into the plate component file and change the hole pattern to 6 holes, go back to the asm file and now I see the same thing you're describing.

I am not sure if you have to have a WAVE license but you can go to Menu -> Assemblies -> WAVE -> Associativity Manager and click on the part files you see and pick the ones that appear and then click Update Parts. You should also be seeing a clock icon in your Asm Navigator if you have the Out Of Date column active. That lets you know that something between parts is out of date and should probably be addressed.

I don't know exactly why you're seeing it - maybe something changed in one of your component files or maybe you have Delayed Updates toggled on between components. Maybe it was saved and NX is just doing its job letting you know the timestamp on a component is different since the asm file was last opened.

I hope this makes some semblance of sense for you.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Gears Phenom

@s_hightower,

A movie showing what I did to get rid of the Out of Date message & the ! icons for the Reference Pattern & Asm Constraints.  Hopefully there's not much difference between NX11 & 12 in this regard.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower 

Check if 'Delay Assembly Constraints Update' is checked/on.

Menu > Tools > Update >Interpart Update

Legend
Legend

Hello, @TimF and @GaneshKadole ,  Thanks for the information.  I'll have to review it more thoroughly.  I haven't seen anything like this before.  Is this something new in NX12?  Thanks

Gears Phenom

@s_hightower,

No I don't believe this is new functionality, but if you/your NX admin changed a setting which turns on delayed updates between parts in NX12 you might just now be noticing it.

I feel that to definitively answer your question about why this happened, you would need to know what has changed with any components or the asm file since the last time it was opened and also know for sure if a delay update setting has changed.

If you don't like these types of informational warnings, turn them off (turn OFF delay updates) - but that means you will receive no warnings that a component has potentially changed - it will just accept the result whether the change to the component was intended or not.  This may not be a big deal with just a couple of designers working next to each other and know what is going on with all the models - might be a huge deal if working with many designers, particularly if they're not in the same locations.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7