cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refile file from NX 10 to NX 11

Legend
Legend

Hi,

we are preparing the switch from NX 10 to NX 11 and the refile is a part of this switch.

I use this string :

refile_part.exe -co -s -cleanup -regen_lw_def_tol -d

There are interesting new options or what I use is good ?

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

9 REPLIES

Re: Refile file from NX 10 to NX 11

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hello,

Looks like you are planning on executing refile utility in native mode against a directory for regenerating all lightweight bodies using the set faceting tolerance values and also part clean-up. Are these standard/legacy parts that you are trying to upgrade to NX11 or are these NX10 parts?

Can you provide some reasoning and history around parts you are trying to refile before we can recommend/validate your options?

Regards

Shirish 

Legend
Legend

Hi @ShirishMore,

we switch from NX 10 to NX 11 parts and standard parts.

I used this switch for the NX 7 to NX 8 and for NX 8 to NX 10.

Thank you...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Why refile is needed?

Legend
Legend

Hi @Javiduc,

refile is always needed.

Change in the kernel.

NX convert on demand on open file and to avoid this conversion each time you open a file, refile is needed.

Without refile, you have on NX bad performance on switch.

Thank you...

Siemens Experimenter

Hello @cubalibre00

Thanks for the info, based on the refile history you provided refile is not needed from NX10 to NX11.

Did your testing identify certain data conditions/states that can be only solved by refile with options you mentioned? If yes, I'm interested in understanding these data conditions and if possible can you share some sample data.

Did you use the same options when you executed utility from NX8 to NX10? If yes, then why are you regenerating all lightweight bodies and performing part clean-up again? Are you planning on changing tolerance value in NX11?

Data conversion between major NX versions has evolved and should render refile and other batch tasks relatively redundant. In your case, I highly recommend not to execute blanket refile unless your testing has identified certain data states that are verified by SPLM and can be only resolved by executing data specific refile.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

"refile is always needed." - Not any longer according to Bob Haubrock, VP of NX Development.  He said at the 2017 PLM World conference in Indianapolis that NX Refile has not been required for performance reason for a number of NX versions.  I think he said as far back as NX9.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Legend
Legend

Hi @ShirishMore,

sorry for the delay, but what I wrote come from testing when NX 11 come out.

Today, because we are very near to the switch I've done new testing and I confirm performance are identical, a little bit better and part doesn't become 'Modified'.

Thank you...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
And now for the opposite argument...

If NX Refile isn't needed to "version up" anymore, according to Bob Haubrock - VP NX Development as reported by @LarryCarpenter, then why all the recent development of tools for upgrading feature code? Not the original features but the actual code that creates the feature resulting in a "new" feature using the latest code? See "Renew Feature":
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help#uid:xid1128417:index_modeling:xid8675...

If "version up" isn't necessary then why so much effort building "renew feature"?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Experimenter

Hello Randy,

Good question which will help clarify this topic further. Renew feature's logic is not part of the refile tool. Renew and refile are two totally separate things.

Renew is feature specific operation that allows a user to interactively change its "creation" logic to the "latest" logic. Whereas refile's primary objective (secondary objective - options for fixing data completeness - missing lightweight, trueshape..) was to simply open a part in a new release, update the schema (data conversion) and save it, all done in batch mode. Data conversion that happened during this process has nothing to do with renew feature.

So the recent and upcoming developments are in data conversion logic which should render refiles primary objective relatively redundant hence the statement.

Regards
Shirish