Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regenerating model before rendering

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone!

I was asked a question on the topic I am not experienced with. The question is as follows.

When opening a large model for the purpose of generating a photo-realistic rendering, it is not smooth (see the picture). The rendered picture also turns out not smooth, exactly in the same way.

s.png

I normally don't pay attention to it during the design process. But it turns out to be a problem when doing rendering.

How to regenerate the whole model display before starting to render?

7 REPLIES

Re: Regenerating model before rendering

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Right click in the graphics window and choose "update display" this will update the facets, generally cleaning up display anomolies as shown in your screenshot. Another method is view -> operation -> regenerate work; this will recalculate all of the surfaces and update the facets. Regenerate takes a little more time than "update display", but would be well worth the time if you are rendering.

Solution Partner Genius
Obviously I tried both, but it does not help. Hence the question...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Actually, if you don't tell us what you have tried, it is not obvious to us at all.

There are settings that you can tinker with in preferences -> visualization; for rendering, you should get better results with one of the "fine" facet settings. However, if update or regenerate does not fix the mismatched edges, I'm not sure what would fix that.

Is this "large model" an assembly? If so, are you using the lightweight bodies for display? Try changing to the exact reps for the rendering process.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
This is NX10, in older versions of NX, I did a lot of rendering during the 90-ies..., the faceting for photorealistic rendering was controlled by a setting under the "High quality image".
This option might have moved to a more convenient place in later versions, but , its worth a try.

Regards,
Tomas

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

one cannot use the quick reply when one wants to add pictures...

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Check "Menu > Preferences > Visualization > Faceting (tab)".  What do you have Facet Scale set to?  I suspect it's set to "Part".  Try setting it to "View" and then updating your display.  Note that there's another setting that you might want to use to improve the edge display for renderings called "Align Facets along Edges", however, turning this on will slow down performance - notably.  So use at your own risk. 

You may also find this article helpful:  https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/newsletter/nx-understanding-tessellat...

jaggies.jpg

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Genius

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I received confirmation that the solution with facets worked.