Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove material from Wave Geometry

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I have inherited a model where Wave linking has been used on Assembly level.

My problem is that the materials from the tool bodies seem to be stuck on part level for the target body. How can I delete these materials? 

The materials are not displayed as used in Manage Materials, but they do appear on the material list on the drawing, and the weight is too high as well...

I do hope someone are able to point me in the right direction!

Rasmus

4 REPLIES

Re: Remove material from Wave Geometry

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
How can I delete these materials?

Were you looking at the Manage Materials list in the part containing the linked geometry?
Make the part containing the target body the displayed part, select "Tools > Materials > Manage Materials" and change the Material List to "Local Materials".  Here you can remove any materials assigned to the target.  Perform a similar operation on the tool part to see if any materials are assigned there also.

The materials are not displayed as used in Manage Materials, but they do appear on the material list on the drawing, and the weight is too high as well...

I assume you're referring to a parts list?  The material and weight are probably attributes being pulled from the components rather than the level containing the linked geometry.  If you're going to link geometry up to a higher level than the component and add a material at that level, then you probably need to make changes to your parts list levels to accomodate the change.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

It does get confusing, when you wave link bodies into another file, with other bodies and materials.  NX prompts you on which material you want, but what file it is asking about has confused mself, and coworkers in the past, once resulting in a part being made from the wrong material.

I think I started a thread on here in the past, on that topic, or maybe an IR.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@RasmusL,

Component weight is calculated based on the contents of the 'Model' reference set. There is a customer default you can turn off so that linked bodies are not automatically added to the model reference set, or you can always remove the linked bodies from the referrence set manually. That will ensure that the component weight is correct.

For the material you can always override the original material by assigning it again to the linked body. If your component contains another body which has not been linked from somewhere else, whatever material you assign to that body will take precedence over the material of any linked body.

Regards,
Abe

Experimenter
Experimenter

I was in the part and the "Local Materials" still didn't show the extra materials. The problem happened every time I updated the attributes on the model, which apparently is a macro or something our PDM group have made... I think...

I also tried editing the reference set, but the MODEL set only contained my one body so the whole thing seems kind of strange to me..

I didn't really need the linking any more though so I ended up making the part history-free. It's not a solution I like, but it did the trick this time...