Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove tool part after an assembly cut?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to use an assembly cut to make a section model of an assembly I want to analyze in FEA.  The problem I'm encountering is when I bring the assembly into the FEA, it's also bringing in the tool part (see below).  Is there anyway to remove the tool part from the assembly after the cut is made?   Thanks.

sectioned_assembly_showing_tool_part.png

5 REPLIES

Re: Remove tool part after an assembly cut?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Place the solid on a different layer

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have your tried 'Delete Body'?  Now this is NOT the same as a normal Delete object.  It's a new function where you parametrically 'Delete' a body.  It's not really gone because you can simply Suppress the 'Delete Body' feature and it will return, but until then, it's as if the body does NOT exist at the current time stamp, but that it DID exist back when you performed the Assembly Cut operation.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Genius
Genius

I think it is a problem of assembly visibility. Your toll body from the master component is visible. Try to change the Reference Set of the tool component to empty.

Regards André

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think assembly cut feature should allow user to choose between hide tool body and delete tool body, now only allow user to hide body. I always manually delete the body after assembly cut which is annoying (time wasting and need another feature in the tree)  and may lead to mistakes by omision. I am not sure but I think after assembly cut, the tool is out of MODEL reference set, which is good but sometimes mistakes can happen if it is not totally removed.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@JohnRBaker wrote:

Have your tried 'Delete Body'?  Now this is NOT the same as a normal Delete object.  It's a new function where you parametrically 'Delete' a body.  It's not really gone because you can simply Suppress the 'Delete Body' feature and it will return, but until then, it's as if the body does NOT exist at the current time stamp, but that it DID exist back when you performed the Assembly Cut operation.

That worked!  Thanks John!  Also, thanks for the explanation. It's helpful to know why something works (or doesn't work) as the case may be.  I had actually tried a normal delete, but that removed the cut.  Didn't realize there was a delete "feature" for this purpose.  Very glad there is though.

I also agree with Javiduc that this operation should be part of the Assembly Cut tool (a checkbox) as I expect it's a very common need.

Also, with regard to changing the reference set of the tool to "empty", the tool in this case is a feature (not a part) in the main assembly.  So I'm not sure how I would do that. Do features have reference sets?

Thanks again for the help.