Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming a part: drawing dependencies problems

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I've started recently with NX, previously I was using SolidWorks, so apologies in advance for all the "stupid questions" Smiley Frustrated

So... I've got two .prt, one that represents the part model and another one that represents the drawing of that model. I would like to change the name of the model (example: from "part1.prt" to "part2.prt"). But when I do it, the drawing can't find the source (even being in the same folder) and I can't find any option that allows me to change the reference name of the part (as it happens with assemblies).

Could anyone shed light on this matter please?

I hope this would be clearly explained.

Many thanks in advance!

Andrea L.

3 REPLIES

Re: Renaming a part: drawing dependencies problems

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Open the drawing file, and then make the model file the display part.  Now do a "save as" on the model file, to the new name.  Now go back to the drawing file, and it should be referencing the model with the new name.  Now save the drawing.

I'm guessing you had renamed the model file in the OS?  ie File Explorer.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @aliste,

Avoid renaming of any part file at OS level.

To fix the renamed part in the assembly.

Menu > Assemblies > Cloning > Edit Existing Assembly

Select options shown > OK > Select the renamed part.

cloneedit.png

Or open the assembly and from assembly navigator select the the old component > RMB > Replace Componentcloneedit1.png

One another way, do not rename part at OS level, in NX make it as work part/displayed part and do Save As.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all for your quick response!!

Smiley HappySmiley Happy