Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Body

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all

I have a body which was imported from a STEP file which I then fully dimensioned in the drafting application. This component was then modified slightly by an external person and I would like to replace my old body with this new one with the hope that I do not need to create new drawings in the drafting application as this takes a fair amount of time.

I can import my new body into the original file where I have my fully dimensioned draft drawing but I am struggling with the replace feature. I was hoping that I can replace my old body with the new one and NX would recognise that as a revision of the old body and all of my dimensions in drafting would be linked - except when something has changed where the dimension starts or finishes of course. 

Is this possible or do I have to create new draft drawings every time there is a change (new STEP file from external supplier)?

Unfortunately I cannot provide any pictures or files as there is potentially sensitive data.

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Alex

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Replace Body

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi @Al50991 ,

In case of solid body replacement, edge and face ids would be changed and hence dimensions are going to lose associativity.

If changes are minor then instead of re-importing the STEP solid you can make the same changes in NX part.

Thanks,

Amol

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Al50991 , Or just reattach retained annotations and dimensions to make them alive.

Regards,
Samadhan

NX Help Links: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Depending on the number/complexity of model changes, vs. number of dimensions, the answer will change.

Note if you import the "new" STEP into a different part, you may be able to use "model compare" to see what changed, and use synchronous techniques to apply those changes to the original STEP import, and the drawing should update reasonably well.

Another option (if you know what actually changed) is import the "new" STEP into the original file, then use "replace face" and use the new faces to replace the old.  Once done, delete the stuff from the new STEP that you no longer need.  I am *hoping* the dimensioning updates cleanly, but I do not *know*.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Many thanks all. 

It wouldn't let me reattach the dimensions and I wasn't confident enough that I knew which changes had been made so I had to simply create the new dimensions manually. I also want to stay away from synchronous techniques as I know that it would only trip me up on any future revisions. 

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

There are a couple of things that come to mind, both are not 100% for your request... Within Nx if you are swaping solids or for that matter swaping point-sets NAMING the Faces / Points the same helps in the remapping for wave links but i am sure about how that process works with Drafting , I did some testing with PMI and had some success with swapping step files and remapping although it seems to work that would mean you could 3D PMI your step file and create the drawing from the PMI and hope for the best, when you create Dimentions in PMI you need to use Faces and not edges ... although this has some success I was told by development that the software is not intended at this time to function this way but they are looking at it , see attached video of Step files being swapped 

Barry Waldie

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Al50991 , you can easily reattach retained annotations/dimensions adding missing objects or attaching leaders again and resetting their origin as shown in below video instead of creating new ones:

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Samadhan

NX Help Links: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!
Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Alex,

We do things like this with extracted Body´s.

1. Extract the Body from the STP File.
2. Do the dimensioning on the extracted body, not on the body from the STP.
3. Import your modified body and put it in your part navigator ahead of the extracted body.
4. Pick the modified body as extracted body and use the replacement assistant to match faces, bodys and curves from both bodys.

If you don´t know how to use the repacement assistant, try it with simple geometry linke a quboid.

This workaround is very useful for us to not get retained dimensions ect. in drawings while geometry change.

Regards,

Benni

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@Erni90 This is exactly thte workflow we've recommended to a customer... except it was a Wave Link instead of a Dumb import but the principle is the same... Replacement Assistant provides manual or auto matching options to simplify these workflows

Keith