Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Replace Sketch Entity

Hello to all,

My name is Danijel,
I work as a designer in R&D center of one company.
I have over 12 years of experience in CAD design, using software such as SolidWorks and Inventor.
Company bought licences for NX11 Mach3 so I have oportunity to learn NX from the beginning.
This forum is awesome and I am sure I will spent a lot of time in reading of interesting topics.
As title of this topic says, I am wondering if it is possible to replace sketch entities (one entity with another).
I have searched over the forum to find a similar topic but I didn't have a luck.

Here is what I meant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TRGReFUp88

Any help is very appreciated.

Regards,
Danijel

19 REPLIES

Re: Replace Sketch Entity

Dear Danijel,

We have a replace feature. here it is possible to swap to feature (example two sketch features  with eachtother)

Right mouse button on the feature you want to replace and then use the "replace" feature

Replace Feature.png

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

[ Edited ]

(view in My Videos)

To replace an entity in a sketch, just activate the sketch, create the new curve and delete to old one if applicable. You can add/remove multiple curves, change the profile completely you have a lot of control. This movie shows a simple case of replacing a line with an arc. 

ruud_vandenbrand wrote:

Dear Danijel,

We have a replace feature. here it is possible to swap to feature (example two sketch features  with eachtother)

Right mouse button on the feature you want to replace and then use the "replace" feature

Replace Feature.png

Dear Ruud,

I didn't know that you can easily replace features by other features. That's great!

Reason why I have created this topic is explained on the attached video. I have many features which are dependent on the face(s) created by other features.

How to avoid breaking of the new features because of loosing referent face(s) from some other features?

(view in My Videos)

Regards,

Danijel

Hi bevyboy,

I have tested what you said and it works fine, but what I meant while I was creating this topic is explained on the video  that I have attached in my previous reply.

Please take a look.

Thank you!

Danijel

Hi @danijelVR,

I’m a CSWE and I find NX’s Replace command is quite powerful.

When you use it please make special attention to “Original Parent” and use the arrow at the bottom to find potential downstream issues and to fix them.

If a feature is driven by Basic Curves/Dumb Curves (Not available in Solidworks) then edit the feature and de-select the old (Deselect button is quite useful). Then check the Selection Scope & Curve Rule pulldown and select proper selection (e.g. Connected Curves, Tangent Curves…) and pick the new curve. After that you might get “Map Parent” window where you could specify path directions of old to new which will eliminate most of the child feature issues.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

NX is working with edge and face id's

when you change the line like in your movie the extrude creates a new face.

this will give the face also a new ID. (for example from ID 3685 to ID 4145)

the second extrude was extend until ID 3685 but when changing the line that ID isn't existing anymore.

i need to test how you can do this the best way to avoid this problem.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

[ Edited ]

As discussed above if you use map parent that should make all the downstream features update

mike_fdo wrote:

Hi @danijelVR,

I’m a CSWE and I find NX’s Replace command is quite powerful.

When you use it please make special attention to “Original Parent” and use the arrow at the bottom to find potential downstream issues and to fix them.

If a feature is driven by Basic Curves/Dumb Curves (Not available in Solidworks) then edit the feature and de-select the old (Deselect button is quite useful). Then check the Selection Scope & Curve Rule pulldown and select proper selection (e.g. Connected Curves, Tangent Curves…) and pick the new curve. After that you might get “Map Parent” window where you could specify path directions of old to new which will eliminate most of the child feature issues.

Hi Mike,

I am pretty new with NX so it is little bit difficult for me to easy find options that you mentioned.

I will follow your instructions to figure out what you suggested. It will be great if I would have a video example (as bevyboy provided) cause it is better for understanding.

Thank you very much!

Danijel

ruud_vandenbrand wrote:

NX is working with edge and face id's

when you change the line like in your movie the extrude creates a new face.

this will give the face also a new ID. (for example from ID 3685 to ID 4145)

the second extrude was extend until ID 3685 but when changing the line that ID isn't existing anymore.

i need to test how you can do this the best way to avoid this problem.

Ruud,

Any help is very appreciated!

Danijel