Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace With Independent Sketch Trick

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When I tried to use this on components in different positions, I got this message: "Geometry lies in a plane not compatible with the given constraint system".

What is the steps to take a linked sketch and use Replace With Independent Sketch command? Is anyone using this? What do you recommend?

• I did not make solids yet from the linked sketch.
  • The original sketch is associated to a Datum Coordinate.
Cord
5 REPLIES

Re: Replace With Independent Sketch Trick

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi,

I used this Replace With Independent Sketch Command while dealing with assemblies,

for example I will be using 1 sketch for two components in an assembly, (in which the base sketch o the component one will be edited to create the component two.

first I create an assembly containing component 1,

then display the base sketch by replacing the reference.

next I created a linked geometry of the sketch via wave linker.

then use Replace with independent Sketch in the linked sketch.

the sketch is now free to edit, and I used this sketch to create component two.

this is how I used this command.

hope this helps,

Sen

--NX 9

Phenom
Phenom

What I do is RMB the sketch and make the “DATUM External”. Then you could manipulate the CSYS or replace the old with a new one. After that cleanup by making the “Datum internal”.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Cord,

Do you still having the problem? Could you please upload a sample part? I would like to learn more about Sketch applications and its tricks.

Another point I noticed is; After making “Datum External” and you use that to replace another sketch’s CSYS, then you can’t make “Datum Internal” (Since one CSYS driving multiple sketches).

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks. Yes the posts helped. I was just busy.

Please correct me.

It seems that the scenario that Replace With Independent Sketch is used is when someone gets a file with a linked sketch, but does not have access to a parent sketch. It seems that you need to Break the link before using (See error.

The reason for the conclusion is, there are no constraints on the sketch when I use it.

I was expecting that all of what the sketch needed would be transferred when using Replace With Independent Sketch. Or it would prompt for new reference data.

I think you are right, it may be helpful for a step to use Export/Import, Copy/Paste and Replace Feature...

Cord

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi Cord,

When ever I use this command, it always gives me a list of linked sketch.

and Yes, the constraints are not in the resulting sketch.

--Sen