Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace a body with a component

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

We have a customer that has created many assembly designs by importing bodies from other NX part files.

They now want to start using assembly for many reasons.

Is there any way to replace a body with a component?

The same part files that were imported can be placed using mates but it would be cool if we could automate it.

I wouldn't expect it to create the mates but if it could maintain the position that would be cool.

Maybe a journal?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Replace a body with a component

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
If you create a new component and select body (should present at assembly level) from assembly so that selectrd body will get added to the new component.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Thanks @GaneshKadole,

That was easy and I would consider that is the solution.

If there were multiple bodies that represent the same part then I would just delete them after I make a new part from the selected body? Then use assembly to place more instances?

I was dreaming that the software could find ALL the bodies that are the same and replace them with an instance of a component.

Am I dreaming?

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Define "same" ;-)

Note to NX, unless they have been transformed or instanced, they are *not* "the same"

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If there were multiple bodies that represent the same part then I would just delete them after I make a new part from the selected body? Then use assembly to place more instances?

@JasonTitcomb , With interactive steps you need to create new component and then the component pattern for multiple instances of the component.

I was dreaming that the software could find ALL the bodies that are the same and replace them with an instance of a component.

No, it does not work that way.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

One way to do it is to run a script that counts, gets the location, orientation and measures the boundingbox or volumes of all the bodies, and the ones that are unique could be made as a component and the "instances" could be then replaced with these said components.

I do not see why it could not be automated a bit with said script. Could be only a 90% automation and you do the rest by hand. I would make it a flat structure in the beginning and then think about how you want to structure after the conversion.