Phenom
Phenom

This from SIEMENS :

• FAQ
  • Why “Replace component” for drafting reference component is not possible
  • Symptom
  • ---------------
    After loading the drawing part file, Right Mouse Button over the reference
    component(Drafting Component) and does not see the "Replace Component" option
    to switch model.

Note: Drafting components are added when "Create Drafting Component" preference
    is ON
  • Hardware/Software Configuration
  • All Supported

Application: Assemblies
    Function   : Assembly_model
  • Solution
  • Drafting Components are not real components and not part of the product
    structure, therefore, they should be treated as such for all practical purpose.
     They are special components intended to be used only by the drafting
    application to facilitate the creation of views of parts and were not designed
    to participate in the full offering of operations that standard Assembly
    Components do.	Replace Component was not designed to support Drafting
    components and the execution thereof will lead to unwanted results and
    unintended consequences.  The fact that Replace Component was allowed up until
    nx853 was due to an oversight and therefore the removal of this harmful
    operation is not a regression.

If I forgot during the save as of a part to have the related drafting open or if the procedure fails, there isn't a solution to replace the relation between drafting and the reference component ?

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

11 REPLIES

Re: “Replace component” for drafting reference component is not possible

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I disagree (and so do other users at other companies I deal with) that ths functionality was either "harmful" and it removal is a "not a regression".

"Unwanted ressults and inintended consequences" -- "harmful" --- We have never experienced any! I need some kind of elaboration on this!  To me it is just too many words, not any substance.

To remove functionality from your product that was being used is a "regression".

JD

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I don't think anyone suggested that this was a capability which was removed.  I suspect that NX has always treated these Drawing 'Reference Components' in this manner (unless someone can demonstrate that this is not the case).

Note that just because it would appear that something might be possible doesn't mean that it would a proper use of our limited resources to implement something that could be 'expensive' to maintain while adding very little 'value' for the user community in general.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just to make sure since I'm still in NX 8.5: if I have a dwg open, and I RMB over the "main component" that is used - as part of the master model approach - for the dwg, I can replace the component with another one at will.

Is THIS now gone ? I sure hope not, as we used this approach for 15+ years to re-use what we call "template" dwgs for generating new dwgs for similar components, and it saves us tons of time.

No way we can accept this. This is core functionality. Or am I mis-reading this ?

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That functionality still exists.

What we are discussing used to be called "add view from part", then "part view".

For example--- you have a drawing of a part with multiple views. If you add another component it will show up in every view and every sheet, and need to be hidden where you don't want it.

With this functionality you can add a component ad as many views as you want of it, but it will not show up in any other views you have created. (Multiple parts can be detailed in one drawing sheet, or multiple parts on multiple sheets in the same drawing file without needing to hide the components in every view you don't want them). I know it's not according to ANSI drafting standards to detail multiple items on one sheet, but we are in the world that is called "real", and use any tool we can to get the job done faster, and more efficently.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@diorga wrote:

Just to make sure since I'm still in NX 8.5: if I have a dwg open, and I RMB over the "main component" that is used - as part of the master model approach - for the dwg, I can replace the component with another one at will.

Is THIS now gone ? I sure hope not, as we used this approach for 15+ years to re-use what we call "template" dwgs for generating new dwgs for similar components, and it saves us tons of time.

No way we can accept this. This is core functionality. Or am I mis-reading this ?

This capability still exists for true components (which I think is what you are talking about). However, it has been removed for "drafting components". A drafting component is a view that has been added from another part. No geometry shows up in the modeling application, it only exists as a view on the drawing. In NX 8.5 and earlier (drafting components were introduced around NX 6, IIRC), you could use "replace component" on drafting components; in NX 9 and later, you cannot.

In the assembly navigator, the icon for a component looks like a yellow cube; the icon for a drafting component looks like a yellow cube on top of a drawing sheet.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK, I feel better now, although as mentioned above the replace functionality is present for both kind in NX8.5 (master model & drafting component) hence my need to confirm the issue at hand.

Seems like a technicality to me, so I'm not sure why it was removed... John says 'expensive' but also 'could be'.

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Siemens Phenom

The so-called 'Drafting Component' was replimented in NX 9.0 so technically we did not remove it from an existing function, rather we simply did not include it in the function that repalced it.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"replimented"??

Siemens Phenom

Sorry but my spell checker failed me Smiley Wink  I meant 'reimplemented'.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA