Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reproducing sheet metal part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm working on reproducing a sheet metal part in NX, which was originally created in Solidworks.  The original SW solid is waved in for reference (transparent gray), and my NX solid is in purple.  As you can see, I copied the flat 'base' area, and then bent a flange.  If I use Bend Outside, I get the extra 'straight' section.  If I use Material Outside, it looks a lot more like the original, but moves the flange about .038 'aft'.  I can rework the first sketch, to bring the flange back flush, but I was wondering if there was a better method to recreate this part?

NX9 part

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Reproducing sheet metal part

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Are you trying to recreate the exact part so you can flatten it? Or modify it after the fact?

Two tools come to mind in Sheet Metal. 

1. "Convert to Sheet Metal" takes the original body and tries to make it a flattenable sheet metal model as long as the original model is the same thickness throughout.

2. "Cleanup Utility" will ask for a face, try to determine the model thickness (with override capabilities) and then generate a brand new model based on the original surface you picked. Hiding the original.

HTH,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

PLM World Member Genius

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

As a company we are moving from Solidworks to NX, so we'd like to have parametric NX files, for future use, ie we make a new version of the part.

In this case, I need to make changes to the part, to fit a new situation.  We figured it would be a good time to create a true NX file, as opposed to modifying via syncronis (I'd probably be done by now if I did that).  Also looking to answer the questions of, "how would you do this from scratch in NX".  I'm NOT a solidworks user, never was, so I have a hard time understanding how it was done there, lol.

-Dave

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX 10 file?  I can't open it in 9.0.3

-Dave

PLM World Member Genius

To start from scratch I'd be using the Contour Flange command and normal cutouts, etc. to achieve this shape. I've harped for a while that CF is not more prevelant in the Ribbon as 90% of my designs start with that command and not a Tab/Flange combination. Most people I talk to are unaware it's a command that can be used for a base feature. It is the most powerful and prevelant Sheet Metal command in my opinion. Why CF and Lofted Flange aren't grouped with Tab as base features is beyond me.

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

PLM World Member Genius

Yes, it's an NX 10 file, sorry about that. I didn't remodel anything. I just used the cleanup utitlity along with convert to sheet metal to make a flattened part for you.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Gotcha.

By coincidence, we have a Siemens rep here, so I'm working thru some of this with him now too.

-Dave