Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusable component with a random value

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone!

I am researching the reusable component with the associated Excel spreadsheet. My idea is to use it for steel beams (using the Clone option while adding), what means that Length value is essntially random. Basically, it works - it allows to enter random lenght value instead of one predefined in a spreadsheet and it stands. But when I edit the reusable component and change some of the primary values, it snaps the redefined red value of length back to the predefined one. That is not critical (can be typed back) but very inconvenient.

Hence the question: is it any provision in the reusable component for the random values I am not avare of? Or is it as designed and right now nothing can be done here?

2018-06-05.png

P.S. Please do not offer the deformable part solution since having a lot of deformable features at the assembly top level creates more problems than it solves. Cat Happy

11 REPLIES

Re: Reusable component with a random value

Legend
Legend

I have also lived with that problem of editing a user input and it reverting back if another profile is selected, I assume it's just the way it's re-reading the data from the spreadsheet. I doubt there is a solution.

Solution Partner Genius

Let's hear Taylor Anderson! Man Happy

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Scaffold,

I can't hold a candle to @TaylorAnderson, however, I might be able to provide some help ;

The documentation on Edit Reusable Component dialog box hints that you might experience what you have reported:  "Changing a primary parameter may cause other parameters to change to reflect valid configurations."

As a recomendation, I would suggest that you lock any parameters that you do not want changed when editing any of the primary values:

Screenshot - 6_5_2018 , 8_14_45 AM.png

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Genius

Hi @BenBroad!

Wow, this somehow never occured to me! Elegant!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Don't sell yourself short, @BenBroad!  :-D

Thanks for the awesome answer while I was distracted at PLM Connections!

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Just a thought.  For such profile pieces it is possible to create a custom feature then to edit dimensions is as simple as selecting the feature as you should be able to see for the images of angles and rectangular tubes.

image1.jpgImage2.jpg

Frank Swinkels

Legend
Legend

That's how we do it. Include the extrude in the Feature.

Solution Partner Genius

Yes, that's a way too. But it won't work if you intend to build an actual assembly with parts, not features at the top level.

Legend
Legend

That's where we differ then, we do our welded structures as one part, not an Assembly.

You could build it as one Part then use Assembly --> Create New Component to convert to an Assembly.