cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse object

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am starting to use the reuse object feature. I would like to store standard profiles like a family part does but for adding features not for adding parts. Is there a way to do that?

16 REPLIES

Re: Reuse object

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Javiduc,

What kind of feature you are looking for adding as reuse feature?

Yes it is possible to do it...take an example of a Boss itself . When added it will be added as a part feature itself.

When you are defining a reuse lement you can use Feature as a type and create the reuse entity.

Best Regards

Kapil

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have define some features to reuse like a extrusion, a extrusion+holes+chamfers... but I would like to create extrusions based on standard profiles (IPN, square tubes...). I would like to choose the IPN size and then by excel or other method that the extrusion use all the dimensions of that size of IPN...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

something like this?

boss.jpg

Genius
Genius

If you search the web you will find tables already created for Structural Sections, saves a lot of typing in excel.

Create youre Reuse Sketch with expressions to match your table.

beam.jpg

REUSE.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

yes, kapilsharma, I would like to do that with reuse objects in order to save extrusions with profiles and select the size. How do you do that? I found a menu that creates features but they are different from usual extrusions so I find them difficult to edit if I want to change the shape in future. For example changing a IPN to UPN. 

Joe, I havent tested the reuse sketch but I think they can do the job, just I would prefer if I can do that associated to a extrusion. Is that possible?

Thank you both

Genius
Genius

Javiduc,

What would drive the shape and size of your extrusion cross section? I created a sketch and extruded it a basic length and used that as the Feature, the user adding the Reusable Feature would have to define the length. You could have a USER_LENGTH expression in your Table.

ext.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I still have to learn about it before knowing how I want to do it. The images you pasted looks like it is what I want but I need to work how it works.

How can I create a reuse feature/sketch whose dimensions are based on a excel table?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am doing some test, still working on it but I think editing the "boss" reuse object I will be ablo to create a IPN library... But I think that the features created with this reuse object need to have access to the original object in order to read the spreadsheet every time you need to change it.

Is there a way to make the spreadsheet embebed in the part where you insert the feature? If not, is it possible to look for the spreadsheet if you have changed the original reuse object directory?

Is it possible to move the reuse object library from one folder to other and that the links to the orginal spreadsheet doesnt broke? Maybe by linking the library with environment variables?

Genius
Genius

Have you set the path to your Reuse Library in the Customer Defaults yet?

The Reusable Object pasted into your part file will allways find the spreadsheet in the library once defined.

Maybe you should be reading the Docs on how to create a Reuse Library.