Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse engineering datum planes missing in assembly?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all,

I am doing some reverse engineering using NX11 and "something weird" beyond my knowledge is happening.

The sequence I did was as following:

1) create new part model, e.g. "Model1"

2) import STL

3) fit one plane to STL

4) create offset datum plane from the plane created in step 3

5) save and close model

6) create new assembly, e.g. "Assy1"

7) load part file that was created in step 5

The issue is, that in the assembly I can see the surface created in step 3, but not the plane created in step 4. When I double click "Model1" and make it work part, the plane becomes visible and usable. However, when I return to parent, i.e "Assy1", the plane goes missing again. Of course, I tried hiding/unhiding things, but the plane is not there in the "hidden world" as well.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Joonas

2 REPLIES

Re: Reverse engineering datum planes missing in assembly?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi,
With assembly as work part, go to assembly navigator. Select part/component > RMB > Replace Reference Set to "Entire Part" so that planes,datums etc. will also be visible.

In case if reference set is already set to entire part, check visibility of datums in context of the asssembly. Invoke show and hide by CTRL+W. Click on +/- for the respective objects that you want to show or hide in the root assembly part.
Regards,
Ganesh

Re: Reverse engineering datum planes missing in assembly?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ganesh, thanks for the tip, it worked like charm! Since I haven't been using reference sets I guess it would have been the last place to look for the error.

In case another has the same error, there is one more good post to read in this community about how to have the parts loaded properly already while opening the assembly.

Once again, hat tip and thanks for the quick reply! Smiley Happy