Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse engineering-snip

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi, it is possible to snip off an area from a stl model, so that only the nearest encountered faces are snipped? I would like to eliminate a zone where there is a problem, but when I use the snip command it cuts through the whole model (as if it was an extrusion). I attach a video and the stl model I am using.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES

Re: Reverse engineering-snip

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,
before I tried as you have shown in your movie. A workaround might be to fill with the fill hole command, then I have tried using convergent modeling you can see the result in the attached file.

Ciao

Solution Partner Genius

Ciao Cesare,

yes, this is what I also did, but when I close the hole with Fill Hole command the result is maybe worse than the starting situation. I tried also with Smooth, the preview seems good but then it doesn't do it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I downloaded th emodel with the circle and the extrude in it. That was a good start. I made the circle a little bit bigger (3mm) and exited the extrude to be a little bit deeper because you missed some of the bad facets.

I converted back to NX facted and used fill hole with the refined method. This produced a good output.

Normally the snip command should have worked on this problem but the 'near facets' option did not seem to produce the boundary as exptected. 

Regards, **bleep**

Solution Partner Genius

Thank you, this is how I will proceed then.

I tried also with the Smooth command, drawing the boundary of the bad area correct, but it didnt do anything.