Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring terminal - How to model a simple way?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey. I have a question to you - how to easily model the ring terminal. I try to sweep along the guide (from the straight to the tube), but unfortunately comes out something wrong? Please help. I very much want to resolve this matter quickly. Maybe you have a completely different way of doing it? I will willingly see that. Thank you all for your help.a.PNG

b.jpgIn fact, it looks so:

7 REPLIES

Re: Ring terminal - How to model a simple way?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Edit - I changed my mind about Ruled Curves as Through Curves has the option "Normal to End Sections".

You could use the Through Curves command, with Alignment set to "By Points", and then drag the points around the cylindrical edge until you get the result you're looking for (example attached - but I ended up using a single patch and used Continuity rather than Normal to End Section).

Screenshot - 5_15_2017 , 12_49_11 PM.png

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note most of the ring lugs I'm familiar with are "open" at both ends:

Untitled.png

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Yes i also find most of them are with open ends but there were quite a few with closed ends also.

ring terminal.jpg

Just out of curiosity... is it really required to model ring terminals as it is? Apologies for a dumb question..i just curious to know the reason for modeling it so accurately.

Best Regards

Kapil

So you have the geometry for routing?

Accurate weight/mass properties?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

If you have picked a specific terminal to purchase, check the supplier's website, they may offer 3D models of their product. Alternately, you might find something "close enough" on a site such as GrabCAD.

If you are modeling something that you are going to manufacture or if this is a learning exercise, then carry on.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
One should not "over model" things that doesn't affect the end product.
Having correct weight and COG is / might be important depending on the situation.
On the other side, the solution Ben showed ( and possibly Cowski) includes a freeform surface,
In case you create very large assemblies, the freeform surfaces requires more computing time , which might / will affect load time / update time etc etc.
I had a case recently where a user was to present an assembly instruction, he had downloaded from the OEM web a complete scaffolding. - That was the OEM original manufacturing models, in detail. - The gangway-s had all the holes in them etc. - and suddenly the graphics became very-very slow

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

off the original topic, but I 100% agree. I saw an example from a customer of a model which had plates in cupboards, clothes hangers in the wardrobe, cups in the sink etc etc.

Plus those extras came from other cad systems which had way to much complexity for what should very simple shapes.

This example was a motor yacht which also had three engines, taken from the supplier.

However all three were very complex and all loaded in position into one part file.

Ideally you would simplify the model, but if you can't, easier to make one engine file & create a subassembly with the three engines in position, rather than three bodies with thousands of faces each in the same file.

The customer wondered why their main assembly took forever to open and work with.

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2