Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roles from One Version to Next

Pioneer
Pioneer

I know I can save a role.  Can I call that role in the next version of NX?  If not, how do I save my toolbars and such in one version of NX and call it up in the next version?  It is time consuming to set all the same in the new version.

Thanks

Cyl

11 REPLIES

Re: Roles from One Version to Next

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @cyl,

From which version do you want export the role?

If it is from NX 10 to NX 11.

Menu > Preferences > User Interface Preferences

Use 'New Role' to export the current active role and 'Load Role' to import it.rolenew.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the reply.

Using NX11. Last version NX10.

When I save a role in NX10, there is no 'save as'.  NX just saves it somewhere?

When I use the 'load roles' under User Interface Preferences in NX11, I get a window pop up

to browse for a location of the role?

Where are the roles saved?

Siemens Phenom

It gets saved at the location "C:\Users\XYZ\AppData\Local\Siemens\NX100\roles"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I've copied roles over from version to version, and then resave the role once opened in the new version.  Seems to have worked so far.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Mr. Dave. It worked!  Wish I would have known this a few versions back!

Cyl

Siemens Phenom

Copying repsective role files from version to version was the way prior to NX 10. From NX 10, with 'New Role' and 'Load Role' options from User Interface Preferences helps to acheive the same with reduced clicks. Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom

All, just a word of advice of moving from version to version using the same role. Sometimes when we add new features/funcition they get added to a ribbon bar so users can find them. Just make sure you are aware of these as you may want to add them into you new versions role. I have seen many cases where customers have missed a valuable new command because they did not realize it existed and it would have saved them a ton of time.

Scott

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

waking up this old thread,

I am in the process of setting up company standards for NX12.

we are about to upgrade from NX10.0.3 to NX12.0.1, but my NX10 role does not migrate well.

1) I do not see the point in the dialog described in this thread,

in my company standards i have "the role" in a directory "roles" under my "startup" directory and if i place a copy of the NX10 role in an equivalent directory for NX12, it will both be available to load manually and also load as the default role when i set the variable UGII_DEFAULT_ROLE.
 This dialog does not do anything i already haven't accomplished ?

2) the NX10 role does not translate well into NX12
See the attached image.

Is there a simple way of detecting what changes a role will do ? 
 - Such that i can re-create a new similar role in NX12.

-  I do not remember all the changes i did for NX10, and since the role doesn't appear as desired in the modeling home tab, i hope not need to look through all tabs in "n" applications to find and correct the errors.nx10-12role.png

Regards,

Tomas

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @1u7obd,

I copied your Modeling 'Home' ribbon in my NX 10 session, saved the role and opened it in NX 12.0.1.  You can see below that it was only the Synchronous Modeling group that moved:

Screenshot - 4_13_2018 , 1_35_48 PM.png

If you think it's something that needs to be investigated further, please open an Incident Report with your local GTAC office.

Regards, Ben