Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round holes showing up square

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

After patching NX 9.0 to 9.0.3.4, my round holes are being represented or displayed as square.  I'm not sure if this patch does this for performance or I am just missing a user setting somewhere.  I have updated the graphics driver, tried lightweight representation on and off, also set the faceting to fine and even ultra fine.  Round holes still show up square.  I realize even though they display square, they are in fact round holes.

Has anyone else ran into this? 

any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jake
19 REPLIES

Re: Round holes showing up square

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Do the holes look correct if right click in the graphics display and choose Update Display?

Menu > Preferences > Visualization > Faceting (tab).
What's your Shaded Views Facet Scale set to? Change it to View and see if that corrects the display.
Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for your response Ben,

Update display does the trick temporarily. After setting Facet Scale to view, holes are still displaying square.
Jake

Siemens Phenom
Upload a screenshot of your dialog showing the Facet page.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Ben,

every day, my colleagues ask my a solution to improve the rendering visualization in assembly, mostly when they analyze pin in the hole. Actually, starting NX9, I've set the facet to be stored in the part and the visualization option like the image attached. This for better performance, because NX doesn't need to calculate the facets parts. But update display command doesn't improve nothing. What do you suggest ? Please doesn't suggest me to go to edit setting every time on every open assembly, because I work with 30 NX users. I would like the better global setting and maybe only one command to call to improve visualization. 

Visualization.png

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom

@cubalibre00, I suspect in your example above that you're display issue is due to the Facet Scale being set to "Part".  Per the docs this setting "Adjusts the Resolution Tolerances settings based on the bounding box for the part. The larger the part, the coarser the tolerance. "  Therefore, if you have a large part and zoom into a small area expect the facets to be large and not adjust.  Note also that "For pre-NX 9 parts, NX converts Facet Scale type from View to Part ."

I suspect that setting the Facet Scale to "View" will improve your facet display when you zoom into these smaller areas.  Alternatively, set the Facet Scale to Fixed and adjust the Resolution Tolerance.  You mention that Update Display does not improve the display, that may be because your Facet Scale is set to "Fixed".

The documentation does a pretty good job explaining the settings here:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uidSmiley Tonguereferences_prf_vis_facet_op

Further reading:

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/newsletter/nx-understanding-tessellat...

Regards, Ben

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"For pre-NX 9 parts, NX converts Facet Scale type from View to Part ."

Gee, thanks NX9...Smiley Frustrated

Siemens Phenom

This was done to maximize performance.  There was also a consensus that all things being equal, this would be the option that once people were used to it, would be seen as the best overall behavior.  And note that this has NO impact when the accurate rendering of edges is critical, such as when printing/plotting/PDF exporting or when producing high-quality, photo-realistic images.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

So the only thing that looks crappy is what the user actually looks at all day...

seasoned NX user: "oh look, they changed the rendering to something worse..."

new NX user: "NX can't even render a cylinder correctly, this proves CAD X was better..."

Edit: To be clear, I still like NX and I know where the options are to improve the display quality. Explaining all of this to coworkers is a bit tiresome for me and certainly doesn't improve their opinion of NX.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I understand this is for performance.  But it drives me crazy, I have multiple engineers ask me about this daily.  I have to hear from everyone how "NX 8.5 didn't do this".

Jake