Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing electrical: Mid-point extension

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

I want the spline path to go straight trough the fixture port, and want to add extension. 

I've tried to add this in the settings for the fixture-port, but can't make it work. 

Pictures attached. 

How can I do this? 

7 REPLIES

Re: Routing electrical: Mid-point extension

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Daniel,

You need to use the port (while selecting the spline path)...this will make the spline path tangent to the port (fixture) and you will get the desired extension (forward and backward).

i did a small electrical routing demo long time back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlEdDemdx_Y . May be this will help.

Best Regards

Kapil

Creator
Creator

Thanks, buthow do I "use the port"? 

When I'm routing, I select the port, and it places a dot at the center. 

Or I can finish the spline path, and then drag the dot into the port. 

But none of them works. 

Siemens Phenom

Hi Daniel,

Yes you are correct..since you have choosen the port so the engagement values should be available. Have you defined the engagement values for the FIXTURE PORT during qulaify part also?

if possible could you please share the parts (defeaturize it if you have some confidentiality issue).

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

One more thing Daniel. In the first image you provided. You can define the VECTOR direction for point 4 in the direction of the port. Then also it should work.

Best Regards

Kapil

Creator
Creator

There is no "Engagement"-field for the fixture port like it is for multiport, only "Extension" and "Back extension".
Picture "Extension for midpoint_2.PNG" from the first post shows my settings.

There is no part to share. Only a fixture port in free air to guide the cables through a channel.

Creator
Creator

The vector-trick worked, giving the possibility to punch extension-numbers!

Thanks! 

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter
Hi Daniel,

The behaviour you are observing of extensions not getting applied is more evident when spline path is created in different subassembly which is not having the port

This is assembly context where spline path and fixture port are in different components in assembly navigator

If this is the case then you can wavelink the port in work part where you want to create spline path. This should work
Extensions are picked correctly when port from different component outside workpart is 'wavelinked' into work part