Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run journal from a menu

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have several journal files I was able to run from a custom menu in NX 8. After upgrading to NX9, attempting to use the menu items results in an error like: "Could not find file run_journal R:\data\cadsite\BarCode.cs in any of the appropriate directories." I have confirmed run_journal.exe exists in the UGII folder. Below is one of my entries in the .tbr file.

TITLE IPOS Functions
VERSION 170
DOCK TOP

BUTTON BARCODE
    LABEL    Add Barcode
    BITMAP   help
    ACTION  run_journal ${EDS_CAD_SVR_ROOT}\BarCode.cs

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Run journal from a menu

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Look in your syslog (help -> NX Log file) to see if "EDS_CAD_SVR_ROOT" is shown (just search for the text) and if so, what the value is.

Note if it is NOT listed, it still may be defined - maybe write a small journal to see if it exists & report the value?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Not where I can test at the moment, but since the error message includes the expanded value of 'EDS_CAD_SVR_ROOT', I'm inclined to believe it is properly set. From the message, it seems more along the lines of eaither A) NX can't find the run_journal.exe, or B) Something changed in the tbr definition that doesn't allow for the both program name and a parameter (file name) to exist on the line (ie: it is looking for a file named "run_journal R:\data\cadsite\BarCode.cs")

Eldon

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I have a custom menu in NX 8.5 (also works in 9) to run some journals. The entries look something like this:

BUTTON MY_BUTTON_NAME
LABEL Button Description
ACTIONS [path to journal]

I used the keyword "ACTIONS" instead of "ACTION" and "run_journal" does not appear in the line anywhere. Hope this helps.

edit:

Forgot to mention, my journal file is located in the 'startup' folder.