Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM Bridge Bend

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I have two Tabs (base) that I want to connect, and was trying the Bridge Bend, but no luck.  Note, the far bottom edge remians on the same plane.  Is that the reason?

Other suggestions for this transition?  I've tried stacking flange, on flange, on flange, but the far edge wants to rise off that plane, or something else goes wacky.  I've tried lofted flange, but we would like this to be simple brakes.

SM_Bridge.JPG

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
9 REPLIES

Re: SM Bridge Bend

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Hi Dave,
Can you sketch the result? I'm struggling to see how you can achieve this (in straight brake) without twisting the material?
Thanks.

Gears Phenom

This is the best I have gotten so far.  It's not perfect, but pretty close.  I'm still looking for a better way to make the transition, since there is a lot of trial and error to keep the bends from interferring too much.

Brakes.jpg

-Dave

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

I believe that both edges that you want to connect need to be parallel. The reason for this is that the connecting tab needs to be planar instead of "twisted".

So I would suggest to add some material to either existing tab so that both edges become parallel when you observe them along the plane to be created.

I hope I'm making sense Smiley Happy

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Gears Legend

Another approach would be in modeling:

Use the two outer faces to start and connect the two lines with a "ruled" face.

Then apply a blend where the bends will be. (pay attention for inside  and outside radius - sheet metal thickness)

Then apply a "thicken"

after that go to NX Sheet Metal and "Convert to Sheet Metal"

That might also work pretty well.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Gears Legend

Forget the ruled method. the ruled thickened face will flatten, but when tabs are attached it doesn't flatten anymore.

Try to add a projected curve along a vector so that you can create a plane. Then your bridge bend should work.

2016-06-24_25.gifbridge bend conditions

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Gears Phenom

Sometimes I  have had issues with 'thickened' sheet metal parts, in that they flatten, but the flat pattern has double lines in the bend areas, offset from each other.  Then our water jet cutter doesn't know which line to cut, or has other issues.

It seemes like a valid method, and it could just be the complexity of the bends, but have you experienced this?

-Dave

Gears Legend

When using thicken to create Sheet Metal parts, I've seen best results when you immediately create the bend radius BEFORE the actual thicken with a BLEND. In that way the sheet thickness is being created in a perpindicular way to the starting face. The tricky part here is  when dealing with reversing bend directions. In that case you need to be cautious about what blend radius you're using. INside radius or OUTside radius...

After that the convert to sheet metal works perfect and you wo't have double lines.

I hope this helps. Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@DaveK,

You can construct the step with discrete flanges and adjust the edges with Bend Taper.  However in NX9, the bend taper command cannot add material (that was enhanced in NX10) so you need to use unbend-secondary tab-rebend for that.  Here's what it would look with this method.

2016-06-27 08_58_03-NX 9.0.3.4 - Sheet Metal - [JoiningTabs not co-planar_NX9.prt (Modified) ].jpg

And, something a little more like your image.

2016-06-27 09_13_50-NX 9.0.3.4 - Sheet Metal - [JoiningTabs not co-planar_NX9.prt (Modified) ].jpg

I have attached a part built in NX9 for you to look at my method.  You just need to make sure the datum is offset as it will fail if the two bend cylinders interfere.

I'm sure you could link the angled datum, flange bend angles and taper values with expressions to drive the part reliably if you have many variations.

Hope this helps a little?

Dave.

Gears Phenom

@Dave_Walker Thanks, I like that...good food for thought, for next time!!

-Dave