Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL Data to Brep Data

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Everyone,

I am working on taking a simulated warp model (stl) and reverse engineering it into a workable model for mold design. I am getting by with the work flow I have, however, this approach of making surfaces from intersecting curves of the STL is very time consuming.

Is there any modules of NX that will help me to turn STL data into Brep data? Currently we have the normal modeling license. I am currently using NX9 but we are soon making the move to NX 12.

Thanks,

Jaime Sluis

3 REPLIES

Re: STL Data to Brep Data

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I'm not sure this will get what you need, but you can use the "rough offset" command. It will allow selection of a facet body as input. Using an offset value of zero should give you a b-rep copy of the body.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried the rough offset and I get the error that the body cant be made. I have also tried to use global deformation with points exported from the simulation software and I also get the body cant be made.

My feeling is this part is rather complex (Fan shroud with simulated warp) and that is why I get these errors.

I am curious if there are other NX modules that would give me the tools I need to do this work.

Thanks agian

Jaime

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @JSDesign,

There are various commands that you can use directly on imported faceted geometry, such as Decimate and Smooth to improve the quality of the data.

Once you've 'cleaned up' the facets you could try using some of NX's Reverse Engineering commands such as Fit Curve, Fit Surface and Rapid Surface to help convert the geometry into B-rep data.  Youtube has a plethora of videos (some are from the Siemens PLM: NX CAD Quick Tips) that demonstrate the reverse engineering commands in NX, including the ones I've mentioned above.

Regards, Ben