I have a problem

When I open a .stp file in NX

it creates a .prt file but I don't want

the "_stp"  at the endo of the new file

6 REPLIES

Re: STP file name problem

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Instead of directly opening the step file, create a new part file (any name you like) and use "file import" to import the step file to your new file.

Good but I have a STEP file which contains 73 parts

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Tooling-Design,

There are no customer defaults to prevent this, nor does the stepXXXug.def file contain a setting to control the suffix.  An existing enhancement requested has already been submitted:

ER 6613286  - Option to control suffix to filename of NX prt file result from opening stp file

You can contact your local GTAC office and ask that they add you to the ER so that you are notified when the functionality has been implemented.  While looking at previous issues, I noticed one explanation (for JTs) which suggested that the suffix helps to prevent overwriting the original part file .  It is common for users to export to another format and then open that file to check that it has the required geometry.  In doing so, the corresponding prt file is created, which if it had the same name as the original prt file it could overwrite the original part.

Use @cowski1's solution for a workaround.

Regards, Ben

Ok Thank you very much

Legend
Legend

It's an extra step, but when you file ->open a STP assembly you can then Clone the assembly and give it whatever prefix and/or suffix you want.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@R_Newcomb's post reminded me of a similar thread where someone wanted to remove the file suffix when cloning. This is possible, but requires a simple edit of the clone log file.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Naming-Clone-Assembly/m-p/468029#M20...