cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Assembly as Part

Creator
Creator

I'm looking for a reliable way to create a Part from an Assembly.

For context: Many downloaded vendor files come into NX as assemblies, sometimes with many parts. To avoid keeping copies of all these part files it is most convenient to convert each of the parts into a "dumb solid" within a single part file.

I've found that with some of these assemblies I can export to an IGES or STEP file, then import that file to get this result. Often though, the resulting file either retains each part as a separate file, or the entire assembly is nothing but "dumb" surface bodies.

Has anyone discovered a method to reliably convert assemblies into parts made up of solids?

7 REPLIES

Re: Save Assembly as Part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What about "Simplify Assembly" cmd?? It makes one solid body from an assembly..

3pc assembly can look like this after it:

solid asbly.png

and you can even delet parts from tree:

as-tree.png

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the tip; it might be the answer for some, but it requires an "Advanced Assembly Modeling" license, which I don't have. (Solidworks Standard does this very easily, btw: File, Save As, Part.)

In the meantime though, I've found another way. Will post a reply to my original question.

Creator
Creator

Found my own answer:

In the Assembly, make one component the Work Part, then from the Menu use Insert; Associative Copy; WAVE Geometry Linker (Copies geometry from other parts in the assembly into the Work Part.)

Under Settings, uncheck "Associative," to avoid external references in the resulting part, then select only those components that are needed to represent the original Assembly in the final Part.

Experimenter
Experimenter

you can set the option "Flatten Assembly" in the step- import option.

then you will have a single part and not an assembly

Creator
Creator

Aha! Should have tried that; I thought it would just make the assembly one-level deep.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Filter => Face

Select all

Copy

Create new part

Past

:-)

HEIA-FR, O.Mauron

Creator
Creator

Appreciate the advice, but I think cadmin had the better solution above. I doubt the method you recommend would produce solid bodies, which I always prefer.