cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Error: A newer version of this part is available since it was loaded in the session.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there any way to save a file after recieving this message? If there is I haven't found a way. Please see the attached image. I have tried a "save as" and that fails as it's looking for the old part that was opened before another user opened the part on their machine and saved over the part.

This is a major problem with NX if you don't have TeamCenter PDM installed. Why is it that all Microsoft Windows Applications (word, excel, powerpoint, etc.) can recognize that another user has a file open and will automatically make a file read only for a second person that opens the file with a warning that states this to the second user, but Siemens can't do the same?!? This has happened a number of times in our operation and it is very costly time wise and money wise!

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB
22 REPLIES

Re: Save Error: A newer version of this part is available since it was loaded in the session.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Have run into this more than once. Not only would I like to have this minimum of locking that you describe (like the MS apps) but even with a full session load it can happen, which to my mind means that something is still not fully loaded.

No good solution found yet. If you have a backup you can swap the newer file then try to save again, but I can't recall if I ever tested this. The only solution is procedural - always have a backup copy.

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

Re: Save Error: A newer version of this part is available since it was loaded in the session.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Michael,
You should report this to GTAC CAD support. Are you sure another user saved the part? You can open a 2nd session, open the part and review the part history to be certain. Did you save the part at any time in your session prior to this warning?
This message typically gets reported to us when files are being saved on a network drive, and it's usually due to a time creep on the server. GTAC can review your log file and compare the times and advise you, or your network administrator, from there.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

"Are you sure another user saved the part?"

I can tell that anothe user opened the part and saved it because when you go into the windows explorer and navigate to the file's folder location and look under the "Owner" column in the windows explorer is says the particular user's name that saved the file last. Which in this case it is another user that I know opened the file while I was using it. So unfortunately I have lost the work that I performed on my file after he saved. I don't understand why I can't at least perform a "Save As" operation and give my version of the old file a new name? That would solve the problem right there if someone else opened the file while you had it open and then saved it.

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB

Siemens Phenom
I'm not sure why the Save As didn't work for you. I just tested it with a colleague on a network shared drive and I was able to Save As after I received the warning. What warning do you get if you try the Save As?
Ben

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

IIRC...

I believe that NX *always* wants to open the original file to do any sort of save, as it *may* not have completely read the file when it was opened (even if you "open fully").

Not sure why they do this, but that's what they do.

So the copy of the file in memory is NOT the complete file, so they need the disk file to do the save (to get the bits that weren't in memory).

It could be just an "open and save" by another user is still OK, but if the other use abuses the part enough, then you're hosed.

Siemens, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried everything I could think of and NX would not allow me to save the part. I don't know if Siemens has any plans to change the way that NX loads parts completely so NX doesn't need to reference or reload the part from the drive everytime the user performs a "Save" or even try to "Save As" a new revision. I hope it is on the radar as I can only imagine how many users have suffered the experience of working for 2 hours on a part only to go and save it and find out another user had opened the part in another session and NX can't save the part anymore!

Michael Pinto | Designer

Pioneer
Pioneer
Are your Load Options set to fully load all of the parts?
Daryl Pierman
Chief CAD Designer
Rocket Shop
Aerojet Rocketdyne

Legend
Legend

Hi,

we have the same problem. The same problem was present when we was under TC10.1. Nothing is changed that now we are under other PDM that works like in native...files are stored on a shared network. Load options doesn't change the behavior because I've tested with fully or partial loaded parts. I think is a NX problem or NX need some type of ownership. Reproduce the behavior is time consuming, because we need to reproduce the same situation. Maybe, NX developper people, that know the core NX functionality, can understand the situation.Save Error.png

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom

As I mentioned earlier on in this thread:

This message typically gets reported to us when files are being saved on a network drive, and it's usually due to a time creep on the server. GTAC can review your log file and compare the times and advise you, or your network administrator, from there.

A little more information that might help...

When this warning is raised - check your NX log file (File > Help > Log file) and search at the end of the log to the lines preceeding the message.  You should see something similar to the following:

**** File 'N:\parts\mypart.prt' has changed, cached time 12-Jan-2016 17:35:55, on disk time 12-Jan-2016 20:15:48

Note that the above file shows that there is a significant discrepancy between the cached and on disk timestamps (over two hours).  NX has a default 'time tolerance' beyond which it will raise the message.  Any discrepancies (greater than a couple of seconds) should be reported to your local IT as the network server should be "in sync" with the clients.  There have been other cases where IT were running utilities on the server that were touching files and modifying their timestamp.  If in doubt, give GTAC a call and have them review the log files.

Ben