Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save copy as in NX ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

Where is save copy as in NX ? (Copy an existing model ?)

- I want to have an existing part as a base for a new model ?

16 REPLIES

Re: Save copy as in NX ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
So you can just add the part to the new assembli. And when you need to make some changes to it use "Make it unique" (works as "Save copy as"). Or is there this function somewhere hidden??

Phenom
Phenom

Why do you have to save 'a copy'? just do 'save as'!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In this way,you just rename the original part. With "save copy as" in Inventor ,the original stays with its name and its copy is saved in folder with different name.

But the truth is,that I don´t use this command too much. Better solution in most cases is use "Save and replace" which is the same thing as "Make unique" in NX.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"In this way,you just rename the original part. With "save copy as" in Inventor ,the original stays with its name and its copy is saved in folder with different name."

The "save-as" function does not simply rename the existing file; it will create a new file with a new name and/or new location.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks..

So the different is:  Save as -save part/assem. with diff. name(location)...close original and open the new one

Save copy as - save part/assem. with diff. name and left open the original

Did I get it right?? I tried it now several times,and hope i understand it well..

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

A common place of confusion for users coming from other CAD systems.  I've had some of out long time Solidworks users complain that NX is changing their assemblies.  They would open an assembly, find the component they want to make a part similar to, and do a "save as" on it, only to discover the original component is no longer in the assembly.  It took me awhile before I figured out what they expected, since what they described is the expected behavior in NX.  I learned that in Solidworks, there is an option during the "save as", to "save as a copy", which leaves the assembly structure unchanged, but creates a new copy.

It still took some convincing that NX was working correctly, and they had to change how they worked, but I did learn where this confusion came from.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Phenom
Phenom

As Dave mentioned, since there is no “Save As” with an option of “Save As a copy” in NX, I use following methods. (quite lengthily)

1. Assembly Navigator; Copy and paste the component; RMB--> “Unpack All” and then Use “Make Unique…” command to rename the last component (added) in the assembly tree.
  2. Move component with Copy Mode-->Copy or Manual Copy with create copy; RMB--> “Unpack All” and then Use “Make Unique…” command to rename the last component (added) in the assembly tree.
  3. Find the part in Windows Explorer or in NX File Open Window and then Copy and paste and then rename file (and delete automatically added “- Copy” suffix).
  4. Use “Mirror Assembly” with “Move” option; RMB-->“Unpack All” and then Use “Make Unique…” command to rename the last component (added) in the assembly tree.

PS: After using “Make Unique…” command, you have to Save (At least the new part) from its limbo state; otherwise it will be gone for good.  

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

The logic behind NX is unbelievable. No save copy as ?

• I also realized 1 month ago that Save as renames also the same file in assembly. Causing a lot of hassle in the work similar as described.
  • and yes I worked with Inventor and such earlier which has a working save copy as.

Why NX makes everything so hard like Daussault France Delmia/Catia does ?

Genius
Genius

Use Clone Assembly to copy files without touching the assembly. The only disadvantage is that this command won't use the open part. You have to navigate to the part you want to save as. But the advantage is that you can handle a complete assembly and more than one part at ones.

Regards André