Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Silhouettes from Static Wireframe View

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there a way to extract the silhouettes that are generated when looking at a Faceted Body in the Static Wireframe Mode?  I'm doing reverse engineering from 2D imagery and would like to be able to compute some accuracy metrics from these silhouettes... but I can't seem to get ahold of them to get their positions on the Body.

4 REPLIES

Re: Saving Silhouettes from Static Wireframe View

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @SSPollock,

Are you importing STL data into NX?  If so, what are you using for your Facet Body Output Type?  Let's assuming you're using the Convergent option...

Commands like Simple Distance should allow you to select Vertex Points of your faceted body.  Does this allow you to obtain the 'metrics' you need? 

Consider using commands like Snip Facet Body, which might be able to help you with your selections as it would allow you to snip regions from the main facet body to be used independently.

Perhaps Drafting will give you the silhouettes that you're looking for.  Adding a view to a drawing sheet will show the silhouette of the faceted geometry as a Drafting Spline (Solid Silhouette Curve).

Hopefully some of this helps.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try the legacy 'Extract Curve' command and choose all in work part. I hope that gives you what you're looking for.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe

Experimenter
Experimenter
I will give that a try and reply to this forum.

Experimenter
Experimenter

So, this works well and it is very fast.  I am looking to be able to manipulate all of those silhouttes at once programatically (NXOpen).  I'd like to be able to change visibility or remove poitns based on some geometric calculations.  Once I have created this curve... how can I grab the object in code?