Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving an NX file

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,
     I tried to post this in the proper disucssion board area but the "Start a discussion" button was not available. So I decided to post here. I'm going to run across a little scenario here and just would like input if this is possible.

I receive data from a customer that is created in NX 11.0. Now currently, my company primarily uses NX 9.0 due to another customers strict policy for files. We only have NX 11.0 on 2-3 of our 10+ seats that contain NX software. Besides going in an installing on all the other workstations or working on a different workstation for those data sets. Is it possible to save an NX 11.0 file as an NX 9.0 file? Or is there a way that all parameters can be saved as I translate the file to a different format so that when it's translated back into NX 9.0 that it will retain all the information (color, all feature data, and position)?

3 REPLIES

Re: Saving an NX file

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

RE: not posting

- Are you logged in?

RE: your question

There is no "Save in prior version" option for NX.

You can try STEP or Parasolid (make sure to choose the proper Parasolid version)

But you will lose all features.  I believe at least one will get the colors across.

If you need eatures, you probably should install NX11 as needed & use that.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah I know, but the issue is when we go to save it and have to send the file to the customer who uses NX 9.0 they wouldn't be able to open it. So it's difficult on one hand we have a new customer who has updated to NX 11.0 and sends us data in that we need to process. On the other hand another customer who has all their software only at NX 9.0 we do a lot of work for and have to send them lots of data.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Install both versions.

Use NX9 for the NX9 customer

Use NX11 for the NX11 customer

(note if you install multiple NX versions, install from "oldest" to "newest")

Are you using Teamcenter?

If not, you will have to be careful to open the proper version of NX, THEN open the part (no double-clicking in Explorer, unless you replace the default .PRT action with your own .BAT file - there was a thread on this a bit ago in one of the NX forums)  Note if each customer has customizations (seed parts, customer defaults, etc.) you will want to have different environments anyhow.

Moderators - this really should be moved to one of the NX forums.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled