Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section view from a detail view

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I am trying to draw a sectioning profile on a detailed view but for some reason it doesn't recognze the detail view as a view. When I hover over the other main views it highlightes them but not the detail view. So I can't really select the detail view to draw a profile on it. Is there a way to change this setting?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES

Re: Section view from a detail view

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Dag,

It's not possible to create a section view from a detailed view (ER 2106223).

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer
Well actually I was able to create a section view from a detailed view by directly going to the "section view" function without drawing a profile then choosing "dynamic" definition instead of "from existing". But this option doesn't give you the freedom to draw any kind of profile you want. So it looks like it has the capability to section a detail view so I don't get why it doesn't let me draw profile on it before choosing the "section view" function.

Experimenter
Experimenter

If I'm understanding the question correctly, I am able to section a detail view if I first make the detail view independent (right click on detail view to see this option).

Pioneer
Pioneer
Awesome! Thanks. While you are at it can you tell me how to show the name of the detail like "A" and so on to show up on the original view? The name shows up on the detail view but not on the original view the detail view came from.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Go into your detail view settings and set the "label on parent" settings to what you want.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
Yes, I just confirmed this. You can create a Section View of a Detailed View. Like you, I had better success if I made the Detailed View independent beforehand. I can predefine a Section Line in the view and then insert a Section View based on existing Section Line, or create a Section View if I set the Vector Option to Defined. The status of the ER is "In Review" so perhaps development are getting ready to change it to "Implemented".

Pioneer
Pioneer
Got it. Thanks.

Pioneer
Pioneer
@cowski1 I tried your approach for viewing a label on rectangular detail boundary but there is no option for that. Is there a way around that?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I've never had to work with a rectangular detail view. From what I've seen, they are not standard; as such, they do not have the same support that circular views do. You will probably need to make your own label with a note.