Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Shaft Threading

I'm trying to create a thread along a shaft (1-8 thread on a 1"x 6" shaft - nothing unusual) and I keep receiving this error:

Error.JPG

I can make threads up to 3", but anything longer and I receive the same error. I've tried threading on a few different shafts (including a couple metric) on different models and receive the same error. Anyone have any ideas? I've restarted the program, opened different models, tried offset starting planes, pitches, diameters, etc. with no luck.

12 REPLIES

Re: Shaft Threading

Is your thread a swept feature? This message can occur when faces/edges on tool bodies touch faces/edges on target bodies, for example, if the inner face of a swept thread tool body has the same diameter as the outer face of the shaft it is to be united to. In these cases the message can be prevented by making the the two bodies physically interfere rather than touch.

Regards, Ben

If I use 3" as the thread length I get this:

thread2.JPG

If I set it at 3.1" I get the error message:

Error.JPG

This is using the Thread tool set on Detailed.

[ Edited ]

Are you using the "thread" command or are you creating the thread manually?

If you are creating the thread manually, take a look here. There is a file attached that illustrates what @BenBroad mentioned.

Edit (didn't see the latest replies): since you are using the thread tool, you should report this behavior to GTAC so they can investigate (and hopefully fix) it.

Looks like a similar PR was reported: PR 7878783. It's still open, and on it's way to Parasolid Development to review. You can open an IR with GTAC to have you notified when the problem has been fixed.

Regards, Ben

Thread Command. I'm used to cutting the threads manually in Solidworks, I just thought this was a novel tool in NX, but I haven't had a ton of success with it.

It's an old command. Probably due to be revamped Smiley Happy

In much need of a revamp, works better with the hole callout, to dimension them.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

Unless you manufacture the threads, it’s not a best practice in Solidworks to make physical thread Cut Sweeps and it’s highly discouraged. Instead it offers to use Standard Cosmetic Thread symbols, face colouring and simplified screws (liner cut pattern type). Basically, why do you want to waste system resources unnecessarily on the purchased Standard components?

I’m not sure about NX best practices in this regards. But I’ve seen some NX users prefer and don’t mind to load the Reuse Library/ Part family with all the internal detail with smart features. Any NX veterans like to share your thoughts or best practices?  

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.0.33 + PDW