Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal From Solid - Ruled Object

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I am forming an air nozzle from a series of ruled objects due to the required changes of direction and shape.

From by base form I want to create 5 sheet metal plates; the top, bottom, both sides and one end; the problem I am having is that one face doesn't work.

I can create the top and bottom sheets but when I come to do the sides there is one face I can not select and along with just the selection of a single face (the end).

There is bound to be an easier way to do this than the way I have so any feedback would be much apprecaited.

Thanks

Ali

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Sheet Metal From Solid - Ruled Object

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Ali_S 

I took a quick look at your file and noticed that the faces that cannot be selected are B-Surfaces whereas the remaining ones are planar.  You've introduced twist between the two sketch sections on that Ruled body.  Does that help?

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @BenBroad 

Many thanks for the feedback, if i have managed to add twist between the faces then it is without my realising.

The arrows on the top two origin lines are both pointing in the same direction so I'm not sure where it is coming from, would you be kind enough to make the alterations and send the model back to me?

Many thanks

Ali

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@Ali_S wrote:

Hi @BenBroad 

Many thanks for the feedback, if i have managed to add twist between the faces then it is without my realising.

The arrows on the top two origin lines are both pointing in the same direction so I'm not sure where it is coming from, would you be kind enough to make the alterations and send the model back to me?

Many thanks

Ali

Hi @Ali_S 

There are probably a handful of ways to correct this.  What I can do is show you how to identify the surface type, and how to isolate it for analysis and then show you that once the surface has been made planar that allows it to be used for the Sheet Metal from Solid command.  From here you'll have to decide your own solution, whether it be to correct your sketches, modify your design or use similar steps that I've shown to address your issue.

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @BenBroad 

Thank you very much, I now see the problem and I think I understand how I created the issue in the first place so I will go back and work through my sketches and model.

Thanks again

Ali