Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal question

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

NX 9

The attached file was originally created in a different CAD package, and I am recreating it in NX.  I want to use sheet metal, and I need to be able to flatten it.  Everything is pretty straight forward, except for the center section (green).

Any thoughts on this area?  Contour flange?  Key is I need it to flatten.

Thanks,

Dave

BendQuestion.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
4 REPLIES

Re: Sheet metal question

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Dave,

I'll see if I can get the time to look at your example file, but right off the bat you want to use a "lofted flange" for the green section and then add a contour flange/flange to the edges of that. You may need to add a small radius and straight sections to either side of the lofted flanges sketch(s) in order to be able to add subsequent geometry.

Just remember all has to remain tangential, even if a radius between the loft and sides is .0001"...

HTH,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

Gears Phenom

Thanks.  I just discovered the lofted flange, while going thru the help docs.  So far it looks like I'm headed in the right direction...I keep trying to flat pattern it, before moving on to the next bit.

-Dave

-Dave

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi,

I also think that it is better to use lofted flange.

I just have a question, why not use the convert to sheet metal wizard then get the flat pattern?

flatpattern.JPG

Gears Phenom
This is actually an old part, and we will be updating it, so we want to start fresh in NX. Also, it didn't want to flatten for me, due to non-uniform thickness.
-Dave