Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show parts in differents states at assembly level

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We have some small assemblies stored in just one prt file that we want to show in different positions at assembly level, for example pneumatic cylinders. I have duplicated the geometry of the rod (in and out) and I have choose that MODEL reference set has the rod in and I have created other reference set to have the rod out. I think mass calculation of the part only take MODEL reference set and at assembly level I can choose what reference set is used. So far everything is good, but NX doesn't let me have two instances of the same part with two different reference sets in different subassemblies. Am I doing something wrong?

3 REPLIES

Re: Show parts in differents states at assembly level

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

With your parts set up the way you've got them (in one component) the functionality you're going to need is "Deformable Components."

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.1/nx_help/#uid:deform_topics

If you want to leave your pneumatic cylinders as an assembly, then assembly "Position Overrides" are another way to do this.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.1/nx_help/#uid:func_details_repo_variable

Does that help?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

"NX doesn't let me have two instances of the same part with two different reference sets in different subassemblies"

If you have a component and its instances in the same assembly or sub assemblies, you can set a different reference set for each. From ASN select the component > RMB > Replace Reference Set.

You can also use Arrangements to show the different position of the components within an assembly. Constraints value can be varied by making them as Arrangement Specific.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Maybe deformable part is the best solution for showing in the same assembly a single prt file with two different representations; one with some bodies in the original position and the other with the bodies at the end of the movement. I can't manage to make the deformable part command to move al the bodies at the same time. Is that possible or should I unite them at the part level before?