Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing both formed and flat solids on a drawing

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Submitting an IR on this for clarification, but thought I'd run it past the masses too:

I was looking thru the help files, and found the section titled, "Showing both formed and flat solids on a drawing". Since I am working thru some flat pattern/DXF export issues, I wanted to see if this would be a benefit to us.

If you read that section, it implies that you can show both the formed and flat SOLID on the same drawing. Note, we us the master model concept, separate drawing and model file. So, I followed along, and I am not getting the flat solid displayed when I add the Flat Pattern view, but what appears to be the regular 2D flat pattern curves. I expected to be able to project a view to show the sheet metal thickness. I was skeptical, since the formed solid and flat solid are in different reference sets. Did I miss something, or is this just a typo in the help file?

Also, how is the procedure in the help file different than creating the flat pattern, and then making the flat solid external?

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
2 REPLIES

Re: Showing both formed and flat solids on a drawing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The wording in the help file is misleading at best, it seems to confuse the flat pattern and the flat solid.

If you want to show the flat solid in your drawing views, one method would be to use the "layers visible in view" command. Create the flat solid, move it to a different layer than the formed solid, add it to the MODEL ref set, and make sure to use the "original layers" option when adding it as a component to the drawing. Add your views and use "layers visible in view" to show the formed or flat solid as desired.

However, to make your own life easier, couldn't you just call out the material thickness in a drawing note or on the title block?

Re: Showing both formed and flat solids on a drawing

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
Calling out the thickness is what we do now, or show it in the formed views. That's not an issue, I just figured if it was going to show the flat solid, I could see the thickness in a view projected from that.
-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1