Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplify assemblies in nx

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Clearly I do not announce any new needs here, but I am surprised that NX offers some ways to this topic, but none is really the bang.

different needs such as:
1. a customer wants to integrate my module (device) in his CAD.

Target small file as volume, inside filled everything. possible Holes or drilling recognizable.
 or
2. a Colleagues obstruct my device, they just want a shell, hollow inside.

I know the possibilities in NX, but I, or many NX users, want a solution that can do this for me in seconds.

any other User has some powerful idea?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Simplify assemblies in nx

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi wvallentinelli,

This sound a bit process centric. Not knowing what industry or kind of parts this relates to it might vary. There are several ways to go about this depending on your complexity.

1. Have a look at the Wrap Geometry. It will give you a specific simplified feature. Should you need the holes in detail you canallways extract them and add them to this specific body. Or you can deliver the Wrap Geometry result together with the separate extracted detailed holes.

2. Have you tried the Section View or See Through All - great tools for working with your component in context but still with minimum obstruction.

Best Regards

Fred

Hello Fred

Thank you for the article.

For example, in the field of consumer goods:
they develop a device and want to completely cover the interior, but retain the exterior in detail.

most user try to unite a complete device through Boolean operation. but mostly fails and a lengthy process begins. Parts to connect with each other. than they try to simplify things with the command "Delete Region Face". But this process can quickly take many many hours.
Yes there is a old "simplify Assembly Wizard" but this is very time consuming and complex.
or "Assembly Representation" or "Show Product Outline" not practicalble for export.  or "Linked Exterior" this the nearest to the goal, but unfortunatly the export is a lot bigger than a solid because this are surfaces.

1."WrapGeometry"
I do not know any application that has a wrap application unless you want to wrap a device in celofan.

2. "Section View - see through"
are not the way to get a geometry to a other cad system.

i think it was a big thing to have a swith or magic tool to join all together and fill inside completly, successful.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

did you tried the Linked exterior.

This will give a shell of het product with no knowledge inside of it.

(view in My Videos)

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Sandman,

sincerely, NX lacks a user-friendly defeature tool, like present in other CAD. If you have time, see the defeature tool in SolidWorks.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Yes, or show what the new SoidEdge function can do to simplify Assembly.

The little Brother from NX :-)

Siemens Phenom

Alright Ladies & Gentlemen,

Now that i believe I understand somewhat better. Is this somwhere in the lines?

Best Regards

Fred

(view in My Videos)

Hello Fred
that is what i mean with "Delete Region Face" this could be time expensive.
imagine you have to do this for 50 Parts?
I would have a magic button for big Assemblys.

Best Regards
Walter

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Sandman,

Simplify assembly, not part. Again, if I need this works to simplify a part...I need a user only for this type of works.

I wrote my opinion.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom

So Gentlemen,

As this type of work with the given requirements such as most of the geometry should be simplified while some or mostly holes should remain and contain precise information for downstream purposes I don’t not see how this work can be done without manual intervention unless you use the information/example provided by @ruud_vandenbrand. The given example I provided earlier can be done in less than a minute if a part standard is introduced. 1 minute a part is not that bad given that it is the user that have to decide what is interior and what is exterior depending on type of part – manual intervention as well as other requirements.

As you guys are specific in your needs and the above seems to be too much work for you guys I urge you to file an ER. Providing as much information as possible such as workflow, required functionality, parts will very much help.

Best Regards

Fred