Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Name vs Feature Name

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, 

I'm new to NX and not understanding why sketches appear to have 2 names. There's the "Name" and the "Feature Name". Is there a purpose for that ? Every other feature appear to only have a "Feature Name".

Also the Name is always in ALL CAPS. I'm sure there's a clever explanation for this.

Thanks!

Marc 

10 REPLIES

Re: Sketch Name vs Feature Name

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It is the place to name your sketch. Some people assign the name of what the skecth represents.

Scott

Hi @lemarc,

In the 'Part Navigator Properties' dialog, you can set the 'Name Display' option.

pnt.png

Either search for 'Part Navigator Properties' by command finder or right click on white space in part navigator and go to properties.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Ganesh_Kadole thanks so much that's acutally a great tip that I didn't know Smiley Happy So now my sketches have only 2 names instead of 3 names!

I'm still baffled at the behavior of the sketches that appear to have 2 names. Any idea how to get rid of the sketch "name" and just keep the "feature name". I like to keep my part navigator super easy to read and this is not helping. I may just have to live with this... 

2017-10-05 22_19_10.png

2017-10-05 22_23_05.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @lemarc,

Any idea how to get rid of the sketch "name" and just keep the "feature name". 

You can't, and you can't prevent the initial name from being upper case.

Please consider opening an ER with your local GTAC office.

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks, never knew that this existed

Pioneer
Pioneer

One way that I have found to reduce the clutter is;

In the Part Navigator, right click off one of the column headers eg Name

Select Properties

General Tab

Name Display - I use "User Replaces System"

Now if I have customised any names, I see my naming, otherwise it shows the (one) system name.

Unfortunately this setting is not persist and does not seem to get stored in the Dialog Memory. So this means that it needs to be set for every session of Nx

Keith

Experimenter
Experimenter

in the sketch, upper left window....double click sketch name>cut>type in new name

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe the field fowlplay" shows is only available if you edit sketches "in task environment" (vs. "Direct edit")

I believe the same thing can be set if you Right-click on the sketch feature in the Part Navigator -> Properties -> General tab, and change the "Name" field

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
Apparently I've turned into a gearhead

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

irvinek wrote:

One way that I have found to reduce the clutter is;

In the Part Navigator, right click off one of the column headers eg Name

Select Properties

General Tab

Name Display - I use "User Replaces System"

Now if I have customised any names, I see my naming, otherwise it shows the (one) system name.

Unfortunately this setting is not persist and does not seem to get stored in the Dialog Memory. So this means that it needs to be set for every session of Nx

Keith

Hi @irvinek

Not true.  To persist this setting go to Customer Defaults->Gateway->Part Navigator->Name Display and set as required.

2018-01-16 16_19_38-Customer Defaults.jpg

Thanks,

Dave