Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch dimensions

Creator
Creator

Is there a way to leave your sketch dimensions, along with its corresponding expression name, on after you exit sketch? And if so can you save it so the next time you or some other person opens the part file it will be turned on?

6 REPLIES

Re: Sketch dimensions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not that I'm aware of.  You can convert them to PMI dimensions and they will remain visible, sans the expressions names, and editable after leaving the sketch function.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator
Too bad. What I really wanted was the expression names to remain visible on the model. I'm writing a SNAP -Journal program to speed up fixture designs. In it I ask the user for some dimensions. But someone new to my program might not know what TE_to_Platform refers to. So I thought if the sketch expressions were visible they could see what I was asking for.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There used to be an option to retain the dimension display outside of the sketch task environment. You could then use the "visual editor" to document (and later edit) the parameters.

The visual editor was (is?) an underappreciated (and apparently underused) tool that looks to be going the way of the dodo.

If you are starting with a standard design and are asking the user for input to customize it, you could mimic the visual editor by showing a graphic on a form. You could even add text boxes so the user could enter dimensional information directly on the graphic/form if you so desire.

Creator
Creator

Yeah, I seem to remember being able to do this back in V16 or earlier. Do you have any examples of how to make a graphic on a form? I've been a basic user of unigraphics since V8 back in the 90's but this level of programing is new to me. So any videos or tutorials the you know of would be greatly appreciated.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Looks like the ability to "retain sketch dimensions" went away in v7.5.  Converting them to PMI is the replacement.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, that is correct.  And before anyone asks, you do NOT need a PMI license to use this feature or to inherit these dimensions onto a Drawing.

As for your issue of having something for your users to reference other than just numerical, once the PMI dimensions have been created, you could append text that you could refer to when running the program.  Granted, it would take some extra effort but the advantage would be that you could use whatever text you wished meaning that they would not be limited to the exact format required for Expressions names, such as spaces and other characters which would be invalid as part of an Expression name.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA