Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch in flat pattern view

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

NX9

Imported a parasolid from Solidworks, basically a cone shape, with a joggle flange, which SW would not flatten.  Converted it to sheet metal, ran flat pattern, and the cone portion flattens, but the joggle goes wonky.  Not surprising.

User now wants to simply sketch the missing rectangular joggle portion, and plot the flat pattern.  The catch is, when you sketch within the Flat Pattern view, you can't see the sketch.

I know the flat pattern geometry is view dependant, and on layer 257, etc.  The view was never intended to be worked in, as I understand it, and I don't recall ever trying.  I've also dumped all knowledge of view dependant editing, especially in modeling, years ago...it became a dinosaur tactic like moving the csys around.

Anyway, is this possible?  Trying to convince people that NX is better, and more powerful than Solidworks, and things like this don't help Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
2 REPLIES

Re: Sketch in flat pattern view

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you add the Flatpattern view to your Drawing you can sketch in that view and constrain and dimension the added sketch elements to the curves of the Flatpattern.

As for the inability to see the sketch curves when they are added to the view itself in Modeling, I can't see what the issue is.  After all, if I can add sketch curves to that view on a Drawing why can't I do it in Modleing.  I would contact GTAC and open an IR/PR since I can see no reason why this should not be supported.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: Sketch in flat pattern view

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Ah, he was sketching in the drawing, not in the view, that's what the issue there was.

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10