cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slice Graphics option to reveal sketch planes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm a fairly new user to NX 10, but have around 6 years of experience of other CAD programs.

I'm a user coming from Inventor, and I am missing a very convenient command! Drives me crazy.

When I enter sketching mode, and the plane on which you are skething is partly, or completely hidden by another feature/body etc I want to quickly make the sketching plane as a section view.

The thing I want to do is described here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

Is there a way to do this, or do I have to create an individual section view the "ordinary way" for every time I want to do this? In inventor you simply press F7 once in sketching mode.

4 REPLIES

Re: Slice Graphics option to reveal sketch planes

Hi @SimonS,

Use 'Clip Section' command from View tab as shown. In the dialog 'View Section', you can select/specify the desired plane.

plane.PNG

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello @Ganesh_Kadole

Thanks for your quick reply.

This partly answers my question, but this to me is more like creating or changing a "traditional" section view.

I see now that I can keep a single plane and play around with it as a "sketching section view plane" which I am constantly editing to get the section view in my sketch plane for every sketch.

Is there any command or similar to automatically slice the graphics to my sketch plane without using the traditional section views?

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Another method, instead of slicing would be to de-emphasis geometry not lying on the plane.

You can do this with the command toggle, Work Plane Emphasis.

Probably not switched on in any OOTB menu but you can get to it via Command Finder then add it to a ribbon bar.

Steve V

Experimenter
Experimenter
Another good tip. May come in handy some day. But with this command I still have the problem with lines and faces that are in the way, even if they are transparent.