Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge user getting reaquainted with NX

Builder
Builder

Ok so now it's all coming back to me how cumbersome the NX implementation of functions really is compared to mid-rage modelers like Solid Edge. Yes I know how much more powerful NX is than SE but seriously the amount of clicks and dialogs and searching for commands is crazy for the price of this beast. High cost should mean much more efficient, not the most complicated run around means of getting there. Rant over.

So I have a customer file opened that has parts in an assembly as well as parts modeled in the file. I simply want to measure "distance between object sets" (in this case two faces) to find the minimum distance between an assembly part and a model part. As soon as the "distance between object sets" type is selected the selection scope reverts to "work within part and components". Why?

Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge user getting reaquainted with NX

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

No explanation of why it works that way it just does. Use the normal measure distance and then set selection filter to Face

Phenom
Phenom

Since I’m always using “Projected Distance”, I never had the necessity to use “Projected Distance between Object Sets”.

It’s self explanatory, “Projected Distance between Object Sets” is supposed to measure between objects within a component, which will be the working part (As selection rule specified) .

As usual, NX is giving more duplicate options, where as the same or better controlled “Projected Distance between Object Sets” result could be achieved by simply “Projected Distance” (or other types as well) in conjunction with Selection Rule. Same applies to “Between Component Sets” too; in my opinion they are redundant and could have been simplified.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Sounds like you're in the wrong field, Mike - maybe you should program software.

-Tim

Builder
Builder

Guys,

Thank you for responding and pushing through my rant. I appreciate the help.

-Pat