Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Punch Die workflow

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone!

Does anybody have a working example/description of how to achieve a result using the Solid Punch Die option? I can't for the life of me understand how it is supposed to work. Punch option works ok (although betrays its age a bit).

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Punch Die workflow

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Scaffold,

The Solid Punch with Die type can be used to represent the vacuum forming or superplastic forming manufacturing processes.

Please take a look at the attached video and let me know if this helps.  There is one limitation when using the die method in that the target face selection must be on the opposite side to the die body.  Set the tool body tangent to the bottom of the sheet metal part and select the top face.

Also note the die body must have a cavity (that represents the die shape).  The feature will take care of the blends between the die cavity and the sheet metal part however, any other edge blending should be added to the tool body.

(view in My Videos)

Solution Partner Genius

Thanks for the video! I'm on a bad connection at the moment, will watch asap.

What is the difference between punch and die types? As far as I'm concerned, they are both making the same shape - it's only the question of whether the toolbody is on top or on bottom. What am I missing?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You're right @Scaffold, they do make the same shape however it depends on how the user wants to control the dimensions of the shape or how close to the manufaturing process you want to be.

I find Punch is a more flexible approach as the interaction between target and tool is less critical.

Solution Partner Genius

It does make sense! Smiley Happy Thank you!