Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks with drawing to NX and maintain the relation ?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi:

Can I open solidworks file(with drawing) by NX and maintain the relation? I know the solidedge can do this!

Thanks

12 REPLIES

Re: Solidworks with drawing to NX and maintain the relation ?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Mas2,

with Solid Edge file .par you can import and keep relation with the original, but with SolidWorks files no.

SolidWorks file can be opened directly but on NX will be converted into .par files.

SolidWorks drawings can be converted via a Siemens CMM tool.

Solid Edge drawings no.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Solution Partner Creator

But I heard that SolidEdge can read SolidWorks file and keep the drawing relationship. NX can read SW file but can't keep the relation.Is that true?

There are belong to Siemens why so different?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi, @Mas2,

Solid Edge and NX are 2 CAD Systems, that are not positioned to compete on the market, but can co-exist side-by-side to a multi-system solution, if needed. Example: Use comprehensive NX Freeform Design Models in a Solid Edge assembly and build a fixture in Solid Edge around it, or use a Solid Edge CAD Model to do CAM in NX. 3D Models can be shared associatively in this use cases. We call that "interoperability". The ownership of the models is kept in the original authoring application, and the other one can update changes.

(Of course, a single-system solution is always best, but not always possible.)

Opening drawings, however, is a use case that is a migration workflow, which means the ownership of the data is transferred to another authoring application.

Due to the fact that SolidWorks is a competing software, so we offer tools to migrate SolidWorks data including drawings to Solid Edge as well as to NX (Content Migration Manager, as mentioned by @cubalibre00).

Regards,

Johannes

Solution Partner Creator

This is the same as I think, but the customer is thinking, is it feasible to use only one kind of software? If SolidEdge can do things in NX with respect to SolidWorks, if it can, one software can solve all the problems.

It seems that it is not possible!

If you use SolidEdge to read the SolidWorks file, the model is associated with Drawing, and then save the file as a SolidEdge file, you can build the association on SolidEdge. Because NX can read SE file with association.And then use NX to read the file, then I can create the association in NX. Is it works?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure if I understood you correctly.

Are you trying to translate from SolidWorks to NX via Solid Edge in order to get models + associative drawings in NX? If this ist the case, the answer is no.

NX can only read Solid Edge 3D files. No drawings.

Johannes

Solution Partner Creator

I have question

1. When SolidEdge reads SolidWorks files 3D and Drawing be associated.
  2. NX read SolidEdge file 3D and Drawing not associated

Is this correct?

Thanks

Phenom
Phenom

@Mas2 wrote:

I have question

1. When SolidEdge reads SolidWorks files 3D and Drawing be associated.
  2. NX read SolidEdge file 3D and Drawing not associated

Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi @Mas2,

1. SolidWorks drawings or 3D parts never are associative to the original. You can convert to the new destination format CAD. A special type of associativity can be found if you use Teamcenter (PDM/PLM) via JT format.
  2. Yes for 3D parts, but not for drawings.
Thank you...

Solution Partner Creator

If there is a SolidWorks file 3D & 2D file and of course has associated. And I use solidEdge to read these 2 file and save as SolidEdge files. If I modify the 3D model in Solidedge the 2D drawing can change or not.

Thanks for help!

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Mas2,

files from SolidWorks will be only converted to the Solid Edge or NX format CAD. Relation to the original will be lost. But under teamcenter, you can have a special connection between them via JT.

For Solid Edge and NX thay can have, for only 3D parts, a special connection called 'interopability'.

Thank you...