Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes can't move and copy text and lines in drafting

Pioneer
Pioneer

New user.

Migrated drawings from I-deas to NX.

When I try to do a "move copy" of lines and text, sometimes it works, but most often does not.  I am using the "Move Object" command.  The type of stuff that I am trying to copy is change column text and lines, imported from an I-deas drawing.  I can add the lines to a sketch with the "add existing lines" command, but then I can't select text with the lines.

The odd thing is, that sometimes it has worked right out of the box.  I would just select the text and lines and do a "Move Object", and everything would move and copy (without "add existing lines").  But most times, I can't select anything - even lines, until I add them to a sketch.

Any hints are appreciated.

6 REPLIES

Re: Sometimes can't move and copy text and lines in drafting

Phenom
Phenom

You have to look at whether the objects you want to move - copy were generated in the sheet or in the view and what is the active view at the moment.

Ciao

Cesare

Pioneer
Pioneer
Yeah, I was able to determine which view the objects belonged to by Expanding the view. Also, I tried the command several times, while each view on the drawing was the "Active Sketch View". Still no luck. I was able to perform the move copy by reinstating the old "Transform" command with copy, which was apparently removed from newer version of NX. Thank you, Developers, for taking that away. It can be reinstated by adding a system variable. If you want more info, just let me know. My guess is that NX is picky about what is considered to be an "Object", and that is why the "Move Object" button would not work. I would really be interested in finding out more about what qualifies as an object, because in a few drawings, the "Move Object" button worked. Also, the fact that this drawing was imported from I-deas might have something to do with it. Thank you for the reply.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Greetings, 

I have been using NX for a long time now and I have run into this problem time after time. It makes me so mad.  Usually if I need to move a text I will just start a new drawing.  Other times I will screen shot the drawing and import to microsoft paint and cut and pasta to make it look good then re up load into NX as an imported image.  All of this depends on how much time I have that day.  Now a days I dont have time to move a text as I just received a bundle of joy (I am a proud grampa).  Does Siemens not realize that we have lives too? I wish it was easier but such is the life of an engeneer.  Anyways I hope this helps.

Warm thanks,

Dr. P 

Experimenter
Experimenter
I found that adding the environment variable: UGII_ENABLE_TRANSFORM_LEGACY_OPTIONS to 1 has helped me move the different objects with transform.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for the reply. But I am a little disappointed to know that this is a known issue.

Experimenter
Experimenter
No Kidding!!!