Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Specific advanced problem] Pattern feature linearly with variable angle between each object?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello. My team is designing an interactive bridge module where one can easily change (inter alia) the number of beams in a skewed bridge model. The distance between each beam, and the number of beams, is already correctly adjusted by expressions I've made, but I need the beams to also vary the degrees between each beam by an expression (e.g. one angle is 1,4º, the next is 1,5º, etc).

How can I do this? I've tried out Pattern Feature with Linear > List and trying out the Orient feature, but havent figured out to vary each beam with this. Maybe some thing can be done with the General og Reference method but I haven't found answers here either.Need variable angle.pngExpressions .png

This problem may be hard to get. Please ask if something is unclear. Kind of stuck at this one.

3 REPLIES

Re: [Specific advanced problem] Pattern feature linearly with variable angle between each object?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @27POP27,

You can orient the instances of pattern together/individually with the help of 'Clock' option. It may solve your problem.

See 'Select Instance Point: Clock / Unclock' for information.

Pattern Geometry dialog box

Regards,
Ganesh

Re: [Specific advanced problem] Pattern feature linearly with variable angle between each object?

Siemens Phenom

Depending how you have things defined, use of the "Pattern Increment" optoin, and applying a incremental value to each instance, might help you.

Siemens Phenom

Clocking seems to be the way to go, although I can't help thinking there's a better solution using pattern increments as @PatMcManus suggests.  I used a slightly different approach to @GaneshKadole, by angling each instance along a linear path using the Orientation option "CSYS to CSYS", however, I cannot force the instances to remain linear using the "Repeat Transformation" option.  Changing the vector direction gives the desired angle rotated about the correct position but I still have to clock the instances to get the desired offset and unfortunately the distance offset is not parametric, so any references to expressions are lost.

Regards, Ben